2 switches 1 light confusion

Sponsored Links
thanks everybody for all your help and advice, shall sort it in the morning now as its getting dark. the diagrams are a great help . shall keep you all posted

Chris - you clearly have no idea how lighting circuits are wired, how switches work, or even what the difference is between a switch and a socket. WOE made you think that it would be OK for you to fiddle with your wiring?

i have tried a couple of combinations with the other switches, the best i could get was it working turning on and off but the single switch pic 2 and 3 had to be in the switched-on position for this to happen, i would put the old switches back on but i chucked them yesterday
Do you really think that guesswork, trial and error, hoping to hit on the right combination by chance is a sane way to be dealing with electrical wiring?

Basically you have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

Sponsored Links
Based on what's been said, at the 2 gang switch it would appear one twin cable contains the supply live, and the live to the outside light.
The other twin cable are the 'strappers' to the 1 gang switch.

At the 1 gang switch, the twin cable is the 'strappers' from the downstairs switch.
The remaining single cable go to the hall light.

Can easily tell you where to put each wire - but of course it would be classed as guesswork.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back