Replacing wall lights powered from switched socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will replace some wall light fittings for new ones. Need to know if I can work on these without having to switch off power from the fuse box. When I installed these many years ago, I installed a switched socket which was powered from the main socket beside it. Power to the lights are from the switched socket. If the switched socket is 'off' does this mean that I can work on the lights without having to isolate anything?

Sponsored Links
No.

You must switch off at the consumer unit ( fuse box ) while doing any work to electric system.

Daniel.

As Stardanny says but on a slight separate note... Where you describe a 'switched socket', do you mean it's a plug socket or just a switch? It looks like just a switch from your pic. If so this should be (easily) replaced with a switched fused control unit with correct rating fuse. And I hope that's not an accurate diagram of concealed wiring routes!

Sponsored Links
As Stardanny says but on a slight separate note... Where you describe a 'switched socket', do you mean it's a plug socket or just a switch? It looks like just a switch from your pic. If so this should be (easily) replaced with a switched fused control unit with correct rating fuse. And I hope that's not an accurate diagram of concealed wiring routes!

As above, has the 'switch' got a fuse in it (known as a switched fused connection unit or switched fused spur)? If not, it needs to be, typically with a 3 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back