Power socket off a light switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had an electrician fit an outside light with an on/off switch in the meter cupboard some time ago. I would now like to fit a power socket next to it in the same meter cupboard.

Is it possible to attach an additional power socket from this switch/ so I can power a Nest Hello doorbell using an 18v plug in power adaptor that Nest recommend, or is there such a thing as switch (similar to cooker switch) that can be a switch and a plug in power socket which may replace my existing on/off switch ?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Please see photos
The outside like supply comes out from the left of the consumer box in the trunking.

Attachments

• 223A8431-6FCA-4F3D-AEEE-F482F81C826C.jpeg
    223A8431-6FCA-4F3D-AEEE-F482F81C826C.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 303
  • A8FD1055-E504-4AB8-81C8-26A4A99C82CF.jpeg
    A8FD1055-E504-4AB8-81C8-26A4A99C82CF.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 5046B7BA-AE78-4C0B-9A75-41911E2D7F58.jpeg
    5046B7BA-AE78-4C0B-9A75-41911E2D7F58.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, it is possible.

No, there is no such switch as you ask about - although there doesn't appear to be room for it.

Hi EFL

Thanks for the info, hopefully someone can give me a few details on how ?

Sponsored Links
If you want a power socket in the meter cupboard take it from a power circuit in the adjacent consumer unit. Putting a power socket on the lighting circuit is bad practice and absolutely pointless when a power circuit is next to it. Think what would happen if someone pulled out your doorbell and plugged in a heater if it was on the lighting circuit.

MOD: Tiresome.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a power socket in the meter cupboard take it from a power circuit in the adjacent consumer unit. Putting a power socket on the lighting circuit is bad practice and absolutely pointless when a power circuit is next to it. Think what would happen if someone pulled out your doorbell and plugged in a heater if it was on the lighting circuit.

I hope I don't upset too many when I make this comment: I hate to admit it but on this occasion I have to agree with Winston, not because it's bad practice perse but simply because it's likely to be just as easy to do it differently and then the socket will be available for anything.

If it is not bad practice, which it is not, then there is no reason not to do it.

It might not be just as easy for the OP to go into the Consumer Unit.

There is nothing wrong with what is being proposed.

Think what would happen if someone pulled out your doorbell and plugged in a heater if it was on the lighting circuit.
The 2kW heater would draw about 8 amps, which is not enough to ever trip a 6A circuit breaker.
The result is that the doorbell would not work, and the heater would get hot.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. The only reason I was thinking of using the existing on/off switch is that I feel that wiring into the consumer unit might be a bit much for me to tackle, as I'm not sure what would be involved. I will have a look online to see what is involved. Thanks again.

Hi Winston

I looked online and I see that any work done on the consumer unit would need a certificate and would need an electrician, which would seem too costly for me.

My outside LED light is on for a couple of hours a night. It's a Philips LED 6w light. With an on/off switch wired directly to the consumer unit by a local electrician a year ago, so I think it has been done correctly and not on a lighting circuit.

The Nest doorbell can be wired in directly and needs 10.8 to 30 V AC (I think the existing wiring in the on/off switch would be too high (I'm guessing 220v). But if plugged into a transformer (Nest recommended) it will then use 12 to 24 V AC so I'm thinking the simplest job would be to get the transformer and wire it into the existing on/off switch.

Do you still think there could be problems in doing it this way, by wiring off the existing switch ?
as it seems I maybe allowed to do it this way without any necessary paperwork/certificates etc.

Your help is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back