add an additional light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an issue with my outside lights whereby the sensors don't work well I therefore would like to replace the lights with ones without sensors

I would like to add a 1 way light switch from the switched FCU inside the coat cupboard to control the lights from inside the kitchen.
I have in the past spurred a single socket from this switched FCU to power a charger for the vacuum.

I would of thought if I spur a light switch straight from the back of the FCU then will I power the single socket off and on with the additional light switch which is obviously something I don't want to happen.

Some advice would be appreciated

IMG_4847.jpg

1 way switch.png

Sponsored Links
I have an issue with my outside lights whereby the sensors don't work well I therefore would like to replace the lights with ones without sensors
Do you not have a switch already for the lights?
I am assuming not, but to make sure.

I would like to add a 1 way light switch from the switched FCU inside the coat cupboard to control the lights from inside the kitchen.
I have in the past spurred a single socket from this switched FCU to power a charger for the vacuum.
Ok.

I would of thought if I spur a light switch straight from the back of the FCU then will I power the single socket off and on with the additional light switch
Of course it won't, if wired properly - but
the FCU, if switched, will turn off the socket and the lights.

It's difficult to tell from the picture what goes where.

Your diagram doesn't make much sense.
I presume the yellow bits are the lights, but there already appear to be four cables at the FCU. What are they?

Your diagram makes perfect sense.

Assuming your cable is in 2.5mm2 cable, and I think it is from the picture;
1) run a t+e cable from FCU to new light switch.
2) at new light switch, brown to com, blue (sleeved brown) to L1.
3) at FCU connect main feed cable(s) and socket cable to FEED or IN or SUPPLY terminals.
4) at FCU connect light NEUTRAL to LOAD or OUT N.
5) at FCU connect new light switch LIVE to LOAD or OUT L.
6) at FCU connect new light switch blue (sleeved brown) and the light LIVE together in a separate connector block.
7) at FCU connect all earths to the earth terminal on the FCU.

Last edited:
Your diagram makes perfect sense.

Assuming your cable is in 2.5mm2 cable, and I think it is from the picture;
1) run a t+e cable from FCU to new light switch.
2) at new light switch, brown to com, blue (sleeved brown) to L1.
3) at FCU connect main feed cable(s) and socket cable to FEED or IN or SUPPLY terminals.
4) at FCU connect light NEUTRAL to LOAD or OUT N.
5) at FCU connect new light switch LIVE to LOAD or OUT L.
6) at FCU connect new light switch blue (sleeved brown) and the light LIVE together in a separate connector block.
7) at FCU connect all earths to the earth terminal on the FCU.

All this is dependent on the size of the circuit breaker, if this a a ring etc, as your photograph doesn't show everything, and we want it to be correct for you.

What size circuit breaker at the consumer unit supplies this lot?
Was your socket cable on the load side of the FCU?
Minus the socket cable, how many SUPPLY cables at the FCU?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IMG_4851.jpg
Ok I am tying to provide as much info as possible thanks for the replies

So the consumer unit breaker has a label that says outside and downstairs lights, it is a 6amp breaker
The single socket is wired as follows brown L in socket into L1 FCU and Blue from N in socket to N1 FCU.

I presume the other wires are supply incoming and the 2 outside lights.

This is a new build property if that helps at all built last year

View attachment 172659

Last edited:
at FCU connect main feed cable(s) and socket cable to FEED or IN or SUPPLY terminals.

so the brown wire from socket is currently in L1 at the FCU this needs to be moved to Supply?

6) at FCU connect new light blue (sleeved brown) and the light LIVE together in a separate connector block.

sorry i'm confused if these go into a connector block where do they connect at the FCU?

Sorry, number 6 should read;
6) at FCU connect new light switch blue (sleeved brown) and the light LIVE (brown) together in a separate connector block.

View attachment 172660
The single socket is wired as follows brown L in socket into L1 FCU and Blue from N in socket to N1 FCU.
That shouldn't be there for a start. A 6a breaker feeding a FCU (unknown fuse) feeding a 13a socket feeding a plug (unknown fuse). Whatever were you thinking. That 13 a socket should be on the ring (via a spur if necessary).

The cables look relatively large, so it may be possible to change the breaker for a 16A breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back