Convert plug socket to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a single plug socket (surplus to requirements) - what we would like to do is convert this to a light switch which would power a light which would be fitted under a wall mounted kitchen cupboard

(the socket is also under the same cupboard) - hope I've explained myself

Is this possble?

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Sponsored Links
You could change it for a switched fuse spur, and run the light from the output side of the spur, with a 3A fuse in it. Then use the switch on the spur to turn the light on and off.

Sponsored Links
There is a socket.
There is a plug.

There is no such thing as a plug socket.

Why not?

Isn't a plug socket a socket for plugs?

Like a shaver socket is a socket for shavers?

I've just googled plug socket, and it's there.

They do exist.

You could change it for a switched fuse spur, and run the light from the output side of the spur, with a 3A fuse in it. Then use the switch on the spur to turn the light on and off.
I agree except I might use an unswitched spur before running cables up to the light switch. Though note that you will have both line and neutral at the switch so the new light will need to be wired with that in mind.

is the socket part off a ring ???
Hi yes it is
I don't see the significance of the question.

I agree except I might use an unswitched spur before running cables up to the light switch. Though note that you will have both line and neutral at the switch so the new light will need to be wired with that in mind.
I think the SFCU is going to BE the switch.

Ok, but if it was a working socket, it wouldn't matter, for the purposes of the thread, if it was a ring, radial or spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back