Is there a wall PLUG?

Normal is to use IEC 60320 plugs and sockets C13 and C14 most common although rating is only 10 amp, (Although RS list them as 15 amp) however seen them used on 3 kW kettles so it seems manufacturers think they can handle 13A.

@flameport does make a good point they are not shuttered, but in real terms it would depend on size of hole, and in the main table lamp bulb holders are not shuttered, you can get safety versions where pins not live until bulb is put in, but not that common, and BS7671 is not law anyway.

Likely two in line connectors would work better as the appliance plug needs mounting as rear often simple spade connectors,
CN20580-40.jpg
PL14354-40.jpg

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with having a standard socket outlet in the cupboard which the outdoor sockets plug into via a standard 13A plug?
A socket inlet would need 'live' pins exposed from it's source if I am reading this correctly.

Where is the OP going to get his 'source' supply from?
If he has no spare capacity in his db then he will have to take it from an existing circuit, which is basically using the outside sockets as an extension lead.
I think the OP is overthinking this situation.

Sponsored Links
Normal is to use IEC 60320 plugs and sockets C13 and C14 most common although rating is only 10 amp, (Although RS list them as 15 amp) however seen them used on 3 kW kettles so it seems manufacturers think they can handle 13A.
Are you sure that it is C13 and C14 connectors that are used on the kettles concerned?
C19 and C20 are rated at 16 A and C21 and C22 are "High-temperature variants of C19/C20".

C15 and C16 are high-temperature 10 A variants.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

It is a long time since I have seen or used an electric kettle with a socket-inlet on the side of the kettle, into which one is required to insert a plug.
These days, they all seem to be "cordless", with the electrical connection made by the propitiatory socket outlet on the supplied (permanently plugged in) "base".

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing why DIYalot wants to add a short lead on this extension and is not just putting a std 13 plug on the end?

Are you sure that it is C13 and C14 connectors that are used on the kettles concerned?
C19 and C20 are rated at 16 A and C21 and C22 are "High-temperature variants of C19/C20".

C15 and C16 are high-temperature 10 A variants.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

It is a long time since I have seen or used an electric kettle with a socket-inlet on the side of the kettle, into which one is required to insert a plug.
These days, they all seem to be "cordless", with the electrical connection made by the propitiatory socket outlet on the supplied (permanently plugged in) "base".
I have found all three used on kettles, today my kettles as you say sit on a base specially made for it, although I never take them off the base, filled using a jug, and it dispenses a cup at a time, got an old type some where, but things have moved on, I have one hot plate that still uses the socket with cut out, used to keep things warm on the table at Christmas so used once a year, and lost the socket, (may be I should call it a plug/socket as part does plug in?) could not buy one local had to order off internet, then found original day before it arrived. But they do seem to have become rare, as to the old type temp.jpg not seen them in years, they did seem to carry on with boilers, but where I live kettles last for years, tend to get renewed because old one looking tatty, they don't get lime scale here so still a load of old types around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back