Is there a wall PLUG?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a scheme whereby the outside sockets (used for gardening tools) will be connected to a cable that will run through the house wall in the direction of a cupboard. Inside the cupboard the idea would be to terminate that cable in a wall plug. So, when I want to use these sockets, I'd use a cable with a plug at one end (to fit into a source of power) and a socket at the other to plug into the plug fitted in the cupboard. The problem is in identifying a suitable plug & socket for the connection inside the cupboard. All the wall-mounted products I've seen are wall sockets, not plugs. I think it would be dangerous to make up a power cable with two plugs on the end. Thanks for your help in this. Richard

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think it would be dangerous to make up a power cable with two plugs on the end.

Do not even think about it. That is what is known as a “widow maker” for obvious reasons.
There are plenty of plug and socket solutions, either custom-made or one of the products linked to above.

I have a scheme whereby the outside sockets (used for gardening tools) will be connected to a cable that will run through the house wall in the direction of a cupboard. Inside the cupboard the idea would be to terminate that cable in a wall plug. So, when I want to use these sockets, I'd use a cable with a plug at one end (to fit into a source of power) and a socket at the other to plug into the plug fitted in the cupboard. The problem is in identifying a suitable plug & socket for the connection inside the cupboard. All the wall-mounted products I've seen are wall sockets, not plugs. I think it would be dangerous to make up a power cable with two plugs on the end.
That which you are seeking is a "Socket Inlet" (a "normal" wall socket is a "Socket Outlet")

I doubt that a Socket Inlet to BS 1363 has ever been made.

Possibly your best option would be to use a Caravan Mains Surface Inlet (https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/caravan-accessories/caravan-mains-surface-inlet-with-cover.html), which is virtually what has been mentioned previously and is rated at 16 A.
Of course, you will also need a lead with the corresponding female socket (https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/carava plugn-accessories/uk-mains-coupler-female-socket.html) on one end and a BS 1363 on the other.

(Corrected )

Last edited:
That which you are seeking is a "Socket Inlet" (a "normal" wall socket is a "Socket Outlet")

they used to be made by Lewden, and probably others (probably still are)

often round, metal, with a screw collar to attach the mating plug.

BS1363-Duraplug_connector.jpg

but I can't see a wall fitting

BS1363-Duraplug.jpg

but I can't see a wall fitting

Well, they are... sort of!

That inline plug & socket combination was originally marketed by Duraplug in the 1980s. Before it there was a BS546 round pin version. I'm sure I've got one, new, in a box.... somewhere!#

edit: Its still made... MK CCP133BLK

If you look towards the rear of that connector, just before the cable exit, there is a circular grove that is quite deep. The idea was that this device was inserted into a correctly sized hole in the panel & the rubber held it in place, abit like a grommet does. The plug would then be panel mounted, sort of!

I've only ever seen this done once & it didnt look very firmly fixed!

CCP153BLK.jpg_3.png

Found this image that shows the grove a little more clearly. A little lubricant & the conical shaped allowed the connector to be 'popped' into the panel.

Last edited:
60309 connectors are not permitted for use in domestic installations.

But it's not a socket-outlet, it's a 'socket'-inlet. Shuttering not required.

The flying female connector would be part of a female 60309 -- male BS1363 connecting lead, which isn't covered by Wiring Regs.

That which you are seeking is a "Socket PLUG Inlet" (a "normal" wall socket is a "Socket Outlet")

Possibly your best option would be to use a Caravan Mains Surface Inlet (https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/caravan-accessories/caravan-mains-surface-inlet-with-cover.html), which is virtually what has been mentioned previously and is rated at 16 A.
Of course, you will also need a lead with the corresponding female plug SOCKET (https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/caravan-accessories/uk-mains-coupler-female-socket.html) on one end and a BS 1363 plug on the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back