Convert single 3pin socket to double for Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Combi boiler in a cupboard that is plugged into a single 3pin socket (which sits proud of the wall, i.e. back box not flush). It's in a convenient position for me to run my laptop, monitor, etc. from. Could you please tell me whether it's safe to:

- simply plug a two way adapter into the single socket and run the boiler off that and a multi plug for the monitor and laptop charger (to me that sounds dangerous as it's an adapter plugged into an adapter)...
- convert the single socket into a double socket and plugging the boiler into one socket and a multi plug for laptop, monitor etc into the other socket

Thanks

Sponsored Links
- simply plug a two way adapter into the single socket and run the boiler off that and a multi plug for the monitor and laptop charger (to me that sounds dangerous as it's an adapter plugged into an adapter)...
- convert the single socket into a double socket and plugging the boiler into one socket and a multi plug for laptop, monitor etc into the other socket

Either way should be absolutely fine, providing the socket is powered all of the time - there are no timers, stats, or etc, switching the socket's power on and off. You may find, the socket is on a ring, feeding a large part of the house, or it is just on a radial circuit, intended only to supply the boiler.

The socket should either be unswitched or, if switched, should be double pole switched, not single pole switched.

Sponsored Links
or the boiler service engineer could simply pull the plug!
Problem being a SP switch invites someone to use the option of only switching L and not N. A DP switch or no switch at all encourages total removal of all Lives, a SP switch does not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back