Running single cable from Socket?

Re; a hole - That was my first thought but there's all kinds of problems with that due to several internal "beams" for want of a better word.

Ok, kit he has dropped off;

6 way individually switched ext lead - 13 amp cable & 13 amp fused plug (by the way it says on the back "do not remove plug and wire directly into mains supply..."

blank plate

insulating tape

12 way 15 amp terminal block

Sponsored Links
Re; a hole - That was my first thought but there's all kinds of problems with that due to several internal "beams" for want of a better word.

Ok, kit he has dropped off;

6 way individually switched ext lead - 13 amp cable & 13 amp fused plug (by the way it says on the back "do not remove plug and wire directly into mains supply..."

blank plate

insulating tape

12 way 15 amp terminal block

if this is your house, PLEASE dont let him wire that directly into the ring final..!!

Can anyone/someone that is a qualified electrician list reasons exactly why this is not safe, that might be the only way I can persuade my girlfriend to tell him not to do it. Cheers

Can anyone/someone that is a qualified electrician list reasons exactly why this is not safe, that might be the only way I can persuade my girlfriend to tell him not to do it. Cheers
Where does one start?:) Probably the two most dangerous aspects of this are:
  • 1...The cable, designed to take a maximum of 13A, and hence usually protected by the 13A fuse in the plug, could be at the mercy of the full current capacity of the circuit (probably 32A) in the event of some circumstances or faults.

2...by just drilling a whole in a blank plate, there will be no proper provision for 'clamping' the flexible cable to ensure that unthinkable things don't happen if someone happens to accidentally yank the cable.
Either of those are potential fire hazards and, in some cicumstances, could present risks to life.

Don't let him do it!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
as above.

basicly it would be like putting a 32amp fuse in the plug!!

or wiring it directly to a cooker curcuit...!

Well, disaster averted. But he's not exactly happy, guess I'll have to pay for the bits he bought.

Now, anyone got any tips of removing skirting board :cool:

I'm meant the actual socket strip itself.

Yes that type is common, it still leaves a length of flex from the old socket position to the mulit-socket with no 13A fuse protection, I certainly would be uneasy with that even if permitted!

So do they come with an unfused plug, or no plug at all?

If the latter, do they not come with instructions to fit a fused plug or wire to an FCU?

So do they come with an unfused plug, or no plug at all?

If the latter, do they not come with instructions to fit a fused plug or wire to an FCU?

FC4134BL.jpg

What if you were wiring to a 16A plug? Or a 15A plug? Or a Schucko plug?

1.5mm flex would be fine in those situations, but the actual socket strip is rated at 13A max, so needs a fuse.

First of all do NOT wire the cable to the socket strip directly to the mains.

Your girlfriends father may not want you as a son in law if he advised you to do that. Flexible cable behind furniture and "protected" by a 32 amp circuit breaker IS a serious fire risk.

If you really cannot modify the cabinet to allow an access hole to the sockets then rather than removing skirting board change the socket to a FCU. As it is a double socket you need to change the back box to be a dual back box. This allows a single socket ( or a blank plate ) and an FCU to be fitted side by side. A dual box is a few millimetres wider than a double box so minimum chiselling needed.

Removing skirting board to squeeze the unit in means the unit will not be central in the alcove and if you change the unit you will have a scar along the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back