Adding single socket here...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi,

Upstairs in our house we have a utility cupboard that used to have a single plug socket in many years ago.

We never used it and we had an electrician put some electrics in our loft, he ran a wire from here and up in to the loft, and put a twin socket in the loft and a light, and also put a blanking plate on this socket.

We now need power in this cupboard so I've took the blanking plate off to see what he's done and he has used some kind of junction box (looks like a big speaker wire extension thing).

In this cupboard the power comes in and in to the junction box, and the wiring to the loft also goes in to the junction box, same side of the junction box, leaving the opposite end empty.

My question is, can I just buy a single gang 1 way socket and wire this in to the empty side of the junction box? Or should I remove the junction box, and buy a 2 way socket and wire the loft socket off this?

Hope all that makes sense!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The junction box as you call it is actually three connector blocks.

It will be easier to refer to them as connector blocks, as a junction box is something different.

It would be easiest to remove the connector block and fit a single socket directly on the existing box - however, it looks like there is some white trunking or something to the right of the box which may be in the way.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING THOUGH, find out the size of the fuse or circuit breaker at the main consumer unit/fuse box which controls all this wiring.

You should be able to find this out easily by seeing what circuit turns off the loft.

When you've done this, report back.

Thanks for the reply.

I've just checked and it's 16a.

The only thing we will be using the new single socket for is a printer, which will be powered on only when we're printing the odd thing.

And yes, that's trunking that the loft wiring runs up.

In that case you are free to add a single or a double socket to that cupboard.

Was the blanking plate cut down to fit along side that trunking?

If NOT, then a single socket will fit, and you can replace it for that connector block.

If YES you could fit a new socket to the left of that blank plate, using 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable.

Be sure all bare earth wires are covered with green and yellow sleeving, and fit a 20mm rubber grommet where that loft cable enters the back box.

Sponsored Links
Are you hiding in my cupboard? Lol.

Everything you've assumed has been correct, very attentive!

Yes the blanking plate has been trimmed down to fit.

I assumed I could do the same with a socket but I'm assuming there's stuff ok the back of the plate or it's just dangerous?

Either way I will see if the trunking has any movement and if not I will fit a new socket next to it.

Thanks for all your help mate, much appreciated!

What you COULD do,
is
Get a surface mounted double PVC (not ordinary plastic) and drill a couple of 20mm holes in the back, and fit this over the old metal box. Butted up nicely to the trunking. And fit a double socket.

If the wires are too short, use the connector block and some 2.5 mm2 twin cable to make it reach.

A bit rough, but you possibly could trim a bit off a standard white socket, when you buy it have a look, it depends how big the metal plate bit on the back that earths the screw holes is, or the switch location, this varies between makers
You could also cut a slot in the side of the trunking, mind the cables though

Got another idea.

I see that trunking only goes as far as the bottom of the blanking plate, so you could trim the trunking down flush with the top of the plate.

You may need to notch out the back of the trunking and the plaster to get the cable out of the way if the socket is not likely to fit flat against the wall.

I would also have been nice if the 'electrician' removed the knockout completely and then fitted a rubber grommet in the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back