Are my sockets with a single 2.5mm wired up right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just moved into a bungalow and was looking to add more sockets but ive noticed the current wiring on 1 of the sockets circuit is wired up weirdly with a junction box connected to all sockets from one junction box

So i have a 20a mcb for that particular socket circuit in the consumer unit with a single 2.5mm t&e cable that's connected to it.
That single t&e cable runs from the cu straight into a junction box in the loft and from the junction 3 cables (2.5mm t&e) come out the other end of the junction box and drop down to 3 different double socket outlets around the room all with a single 2.5mm cable going to each of the 3 sockets outlet.

So question is this allowed and safe? Or is it old school practice they did years ago?

Normally on a radial single wire leave the consumer unit mcb to first socket and from the first socket to the second socket and then to the next and so on and finishes with a single cable drop at the last socket.

Thanks for your help and i hope you understand what i mean.

Sponsored Links
It's allowed and safe, provided the junction box is accessible.
Probably someone's idea of saving cable.

Normally on a radial single wire leave the consumer unit mcb to first socket and from the first socket to the second socket and then to the next and so on and finishes with a single cable drop at the last socket.
While that is certainly one way of wiring a radial there is no requirement to do it that way. You can branch as much or as little as you like.

Junction boxes need to be accessible for inspection.

Sockets should be RCD protected.

You do need to think about what the possible load might be on those three sockets.
Your maximum total is limited to 20amps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that ive was worried as ive never seen it done like that having all the sockets in one bedroom branching into 1 junction box.

Shouldn't be too much load for 1 bedroom and the kitchen sockets are on a separate 32a mcb ring final

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back