Extending a socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mate wants to move a socket because its in the way of his new kitchen units. the socket sits behind the upright edge of one of the units and its where his washing machine plugs in.
i went round to give him a hand, and he has surface 38mm conduit all round the kitchen. he needs to move the socket about 6 inches to the left.
the wiring is single stranded conduit wire in black, red and of course g/yellow.
we went to screwfix and they only sell the single stranded wire in 100m drums, at 20 quid a go each, my question is can i just strip down 2.5mm sq twin and earth wire and use those single strands, obviously not the earth. and just buy 1.5mm earth.
sorry if this question sounds stupid, thought i would make sure before they all start laughing at me in my local electrical shop. :confused:

Sponsored Links
well wanted to join it on ring main from previous socket and to the one after, which means going along the horizontal conduit, which is already a bit crowded with 3 cooker wires 3 boiler wires and 3 ring main, plus i like the work to look uniform. am i being picky.... yes i am, i just cant help it, am i wrong, maybe, why dont diynot do a psychiatrists forum, oh no ... better not, it will be full of gas engineers.

If there arn't too many nasty bends in the conduit then you will be ok to use the singles from some bared off T+E.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back