cabling - Solid vs stranded cores

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This (somewhat academic) question has been rattling round my brain for a while so I thought I'd ask it out loud.

Aside from method of manufacture, is there any difference between say 1.5mm sq solid care and 1.5mm sq stranded core ?
Why use solid core for the manufacture of T&E, but stranded for single core ?

Sponsored Links
Aside from method of manufacture, is there any difference between say 1.5mm sq solid care and 1.5mm sq stranded core ?
The former is less flexible. And cheaper.

Why use solid core for the manufacture of T&E, but stranded for single core ?
Strip the cores out of some T&E, and try pulling them through conduit - you'll soon have your answer... :LOL:

I think stranded is preferable, like the old imperial 3/029, but then I don't make the decisions.

I think stranded is preferable, like the old imperial 3/029, but then I don't make the decisions.
Properly ('multi') stranded cable (like modern singles) is much more flexible than the old imperial cables (like 3/029), which had a small number of pretty fat strands, and hence were not all that much more flexible than modern T+E.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you can still get it, but certainly stranded 2.5mm (not 7/.029) twin and earth did exist, however it was special order.

There are quite a few schools with it in around here (installed in the 1990s) where the installation method was banded above the ceiling and then conduit drops to accessories. It was done as it pulled in a lot easier.

Thanks for all the answers to my question. I think got what i was after.

Ta.

Not sure if you can still get it, but certainly stranded 2.5mm (not 7/.029) twin and earth did exist, however it was special order.
It's in the standard, so you can order it.

Be prepared to order a lifetime supply though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back