Getting Feed to socket from light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have no sockets in a room apart from a light swich.

I would like to get a power feed from a light switch to power a socket.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is No possible way of doing what you are saying.
lighting and socket circuits are two separate circuits.

The only way of installing sockets is to spur off an existing socket or lift the floor boards and find the socket circuit and extend that to install your extra sockets

Thanks but there must be a negative & positive I can get from the light switch?

Did you not read what I had said :evil:

A light switch only has a live and earth there No Neutral

You should never connect a socket to a lighting circuit because lighting circuits are not designed to take such loads. :!:

Sponsored Links
It's for a shaver socket.

I understand for low currents it is ok.

Raul said:
It's for a shaver socket.

I understand for low currents it is ok.
YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

AT a light switch there is A LIVE and ANOTHER LIVE.

They might be coloured RED and BLACK, but believe me when i say, they are BOTH LIVE.

You CANNOT CONNECT any appliance or outlet directly to a lightswitch.

THERE IS NO NEUTRAL. No appliance will work without a neutral.

EDIT: i have read raul's other post, why did he create 2 threads about the sme thing? :evil: because he didnt get the answer he wanted? anyway, i will leave the above sans large text for reference of future DIYers.

And some installs will have a neutral present at the switch, BUT it wont be connected to the switch itself.

actually...it is possible to have a live and neutral at a light switch ....but what he is asking for is still highly dangerous and it is safer to put in a new circuit...if not,,,theres always an extension lead.........

I think most people here know that it is possible to have the neutral jointed at the light switch, but given the feeling myself and a few others probably got from the OP I think the advice was sound, there is a greater consequence for error playing with mains electricity in a bathroom. Btw adding a shaver socket is notifiable to LABC under Part P.
Using an extension lead in a bathroom is imo dangerous as it imports an exposed conductive part which may not be connected to the local supplementary bonding of the location. The supply will not be electrically separate from the mains and can pose a risk of 230v being apparent under single fault conditions within the special location when your body resistance may be lower.

rastan said:
actually...it is possible to have a live and neutral at a light switch ....but what he is asking for is still highly dangerous and it is safer to put in a new circuit...if not,,,theres always an extension lead.........

Joke, right??

You don't need a new circuit for a shaver socket...

Numerical Spark (!) - I was going to post the same, but not sure this is a bathroom. Needless to say, you are dead right. No sockets in bathrooms apart from shaver sockets.

Just to be a technical pedant... if you have a tungsten filament lamp, when the light is off, the switch wire returns a neutral to the switch.....

Powering anything from the light switch would have the light bulb in series with it! This is not useful!
If you are really desperate, power can be taken off the ceiling rose, keeping in mind the limited current rating of the lighting circuit. Connecting that to a standard power socket is, however, inviting future trouble. Someone is bound to plug a hair dryer into int!

Are you fitting a 1G style shaver socket, or the 2G style?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back