Adding a second light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage power is currently supplied via a 13A FCU from my living Room. The supply feeds a double socket in the garage which feeds a 3A FCU which acts as a light Switch. I’ve added another Double socket at the other end of the garage and put another light in series with the main light. My issue is can I add another switch to the FCU so I can operate the lights from both ends of the garage? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You would need to tape over the existing switch in the on position so it doesn’t get used.

Or better, replace it with just a fused (non switched version) unit.

Sponsored Links
I’ll probably just leave it in the Switched on position and put the switch above it.

***Moderators note*** Some unhelpful posts from our resident unhelpful poster have been removed (again)
and put another light in series with the main light
Mains voltage lights usually are wired in parallel, not in series.
(I think you know how it’s done but you’ve inadvertently used the wrong word).
Almost everybody is quite happy with this, as it doesn’t make a material difference to us helping you find a solution. Almost everybody except for Windston come ban. He wants everyone to use exactly the correct term and has great delight in belittling anyone who doesn’t. I suppose it’s fair enough, because our friend is perfect and knows everything.
(Rant over)
PS
It’s Christmas tree lights that are often wired in series, that’s why they all go out if one lamp pops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back