spur advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a 300w Outdoor PIR security light i want to fit on the outside wall in our back garden. But i need a bit of advice on the wiring just to be sure i know what im doing is right!

In our garage is a single socket which is spurred off a socket in our hall.

My idea is to replace the single socket in our garage to a 13A FCU and wire a double socket from the FCU for garage use and also wire the outdoor light from the FCU aswell.

Is it ok to have a separate wire from the FCU for the double socket in the garage and another separate wire from the FCU to power the outdoor light also.

Many Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Make sure the socket in the hall is off the ring main as you may know you need the FCU before the spur begins...

You're basically creating a radial circuit but someone with a bit more knowledge can answer your question though, I'm still learning! :LOL:

Is it ok to have a separate wire from the FCU for the double socket in the garage and another separate wire from the FCU to power the outdoor light also.

Yes, but you'll be restricting the current you can take from your garage socket to 13 amps - less if the light is on. :( :( :( If it was mine, I'd want the outside light on a switched FCU with neon straight off the ring and inside the house where I could see it. :) :) :)

Thanks, yes my first thought was to wire the outside light directly from a main ring socket but there are no sockets close by to do it so my only option is the garage as that is the nearest power supply.

Instead of using an FCU spurred from a main ring socket, is it possible to have a junction box spurred from a main ring socket and then have a separate wire from the junction box for the double socket i require and another separate wire for the outside light?

Cheers!
James

Sponsored Links
is it possible to have a junction box spurred from a main ring socket and then have a separate wire from the junction box for the double socket i require and another separate wire for the outside light?

That would put two spurs onto the single cable leading from the ring socket to the junction box. Sorry, you can't do that. :( :( :( What you can do is break into the ring near to the socket and put your light FCU there. If the cable runs don't make this easy, put a new socket (so much neater than a junction box and more useful too) into the ring and spur the light FCU off that. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back