Garage Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently bought a house. The garage is at the end of the garden and has a double socket. The socket is on the ring and not a spur. It has 2 live, 2 neutral and 2 earths.

The garage has no lighting so I want to fit a light and also another double socket at the other side of the garage.

Can anyone advise the best way to do this?

My thoughts to do this are below but I would like some advice/confirmation if this is the right thing to do as I know I cannot run a spur and a FCU from the original socket.

Run 13A FCU from the double socket, then run a new double socket from the 13A FCU. Then from the new double socket, run a 3A switched FCU for the light?

Cheers,
J

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the garage socket is on the house ring circuit?

That would be an extremely silly way to wire it - assuming it is some distance from the house.

Apart from that then yes you can do as you propose - or extend the ring even farther for the socket if it is not already too far for the circuit requirements.

To be honest I don’t know how to tell the garage socket is on the house ring circuit. I have presumed due to the fact there is a twin and earth going into the socket from the house and a twin and earth going back into the house. The is 1 breaker on the consumer unit for sockets and turning it on/off works for the garage.

The garage is about 4-5 meters from the house.

Would you say this is on the ring?

Sponsored Links
Nope..the only power into the garage is into that socket.

So from that socket to a 13A FCU then to another socket, then a 3A FCU from the new socket for the lighting is all ok?

Are there any other ways to correctly do this? In my head there’s not. When it’s done I will be getting an EICR anyway so the whole house can be checked.

Nope..the only power into the garage is into that socket.
Ok.

So from that socket to a 13A FCU then to another socket, then a 3A FCU from the new socket for the lighting is all ok?
Yes.

Are there any other ways to correctly do this? In my head there’s not. When it’s done I will be getting an EICR anyway so the whole house can be checked.
As I said, you could extend the ring farther but not much point doing that.

Two spurs from the socket, one to the new socket, the other to FCU for the light. Assuming you gan get 4 wires into the socket.

Or cable to new socket, then cable from new socket to the FCU for the light.

I don’t like people trying to cram 4 x 2.5mm conductors into one socket terminal. There’s too much going on and the makers spec says 3x2.5mm conductors for a reason.

Probably more to do with the diameter of the cores and how they lay in the terminal

Diameter of a 4mm^2 conductor is 2.25mm

Diameter of a 2.5mm^2 conductor is 1.78mm

We have been here before:

1661687593250.png

The first number in the brackets is the ratio required of the terminal size for the number of strands/cores (obviously for two cores it would be 2).
The second number is the diameter of the strands/cores.

As you will note; 3 x 4mm² (21 strands) requires a larger terminal than 4 x 2.5mm² (4 strands).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back