Adding lights to Garage electrics (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a FCU (13a fuse) on the ring main in kitchen that supplies power to detached garage. The power cable goes directly into a switched FCU (3a fuse) in the garage and from this power cable goes to a double socket and a lighting cable goes to a single light.
I want to fit two more lights in the garage to be operated from a seperate switch. Is it acceptable to connect a switched FCU (3a fuse) to double socket to do this ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A better option would be a small garage consumer unit with separate MCBs for lights and sockets but what you propose would be OK.

Off topic, I recommend that you change your username so that you don't get bucket loads of email spam.

Sponsored Links
Are your garage sockets really protected by a 3 amp fuse? Anyway yes you can do what you say add anothe FCU for a few extra lights.

And as above definitely no need for a consumer unit.

Thank you both for your advice.
But your email address is still your username.

That said, you don't have the dot com after it.

Seriously, my advice would be to change your user name. Any posted on the internet may be there forever.

Thanks for your replies.

As for my username, this site won't let me change it until November, I assume that it is because I have just registered.

Regarding the existing electrics to the garage, the garage sockets are protected, I assume, by the 13a fcu in the kitchen where the connection to garage comes from. When I take this fuse out, it cuts out all power to the garage. The fuse in the switched fcu in the garage only protects the garage light (the sockets still work when I take this fuse out). I assume this is all ok since it is a new build property.
I did find that the builders had left a 13a fuse in the switched fcu, so I have changed this to a 3a fuse (as I have read I should).

I have now decided to change the switched fcu in the garage to an unswitched one (with a 3a fuse), and extend the existing lighting circuit to provide 3 more lights and put in light switches for each light. Is there any issue in doing this ?:

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back