Power from Light Switch

I thought he meant if the wire was unused and the opposite end might be dangling about.

I am puzzled why this lot is wired in brown and blue. How old is it?

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few wires in this switch
The flat has only just been builtby Barratt Homes (March 2005) so should have the most up to date wiring, UK spec that is

The wires are as follow

Neutral (blue) --------||

Earth (green/yellow) --------||

Switch 1

Brown (live) -------- COM
Brown (live) -------- L2
Brown (live) -------- L2

Switch 2
No Connections

This is a 2 gang 2 way dimmer and the second switch is not connnected to anything

What is the purpose of having a neutral (blue) connection come into the switch attached to a connecting socket if it is not to be used for anything?

Thanks

Owen

FWL_Engineer said:
I think this type of action is one of the reason I advocate the banning of most DIY electrical work. (But lets not go there in this thread :) )
No, let's not.

And I've got another suggestion - let's take a look at the first 3 letters of this site's name, and let's decide never to mention that again, even in passing. OK?

mapj1 said:
I'm not so sure a socket off the lighting circuit is actually against any particular reg.

Ahha - you're not reading the same copy of the regs as FWL. :oops: I remember that was an explicit regulation in the 13th or 14th edition. Bit like the kitchen sink bonding in the 15th. regulation now dropped.

Sponsored Links
i can't see how putting a 13A socket on a lighting cuircuit is any worse than selling extention leads with a 5A fuse and flex to a 13A socket and that seems to be considered perfectly acceptable.

ok so if someone plugs in an oversized appliance they will trip the breaker which is a pain but i don't see any danger in this setup especilly considering how overrated most lighting cuircuit wiring is (due to the fact that the wiring regs disallow cable smaller than 1mm)

same plugs for all appliances including lamps
sockets for lamps on lighting cuircuits
stopping stupid users tripping the lighting breaker

pick any two ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back