Wiring! Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Light switch at top of the stairs for the hallway light:
Light switch at the bottom of the stairs (left switch for the toilet, right switch for the hallway -this is the two way light, the toilet is one way):

This is the 2gang light switch (to turn hallway light on/off and the down stairs toilet light on/off:

The wires in the downstairs light switch wall:

Hi guys,

I have a light switch at the top of the stairs which is working fine. But I have a problem with the downstairs 2gang switch.
Unfortunately one of the wires popped out which is why it wasn't working.. and now I don't know where any of them go. I need some help wiring this bad boy back up.

Currently, I have the two wires in the COM slots as you can see, these are the dark brown wires. I just dont know where the other 6 wires go!

As you can see there is a black wire on the left (with tape i guess it means its live) and then 2 light brown wires. Then i have the black wire on the right (again with tape on so I guess this is the live wire) a gray wore (also taped) and another light brown wire.

The plug is already earthed so that's not a problem.

Can anyone please tell me where these wires should go? I.e. what one goes into the left L1 and L2 slots, and what ones go in the right L1 and L2 slots?

If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
"one of the wires popped out...."
So what happened to the other 6 that are also flying in free air.
I surmise you'll need an on-site sparky to sort out the mess you've created since no-one will be able to determine, from a photograph, the correct permutation required

Not easy to see what you have but will guess bottom double switch you have three cables.
1) Brown, black, blue, green/yellow is toilet and the brown and black will go to com and L1.
2) Brown, black, blue, green/yellow is hall two way, so brown and black will go to L1 and L2.
3) Brown, black, grey, blue, green/yellow is cable to other switch so brown black and grey go to com, L1 and L2 it does not matter which goes to which as long as at the other switch it is the same, so remove single switch note how connected and repeat at the double switch.

Of course all blues into the connector block and all green/yellow go to earth connector.

There are other ways to wire, but method I have detailed is likely most common. Sorry can't help work out which brown/black/blue/green/yellow(sleeved) is which maybe you know that due to the two wires left connected?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back