Wiring a 2way switch (bathroom is 1way, hallway is 2way)

How is the other (2 way) switch wired?
Another pic would be good.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like you have 5 cables there
Apologies. I'm just a bit panicky. Many thanks for all your help. Here is what they are.

There are 4 cables coming out the wall. I.e. 4 sets.
Set 1 coming from one cable is Black wire (with tape) and a Dark Brown wire (with no tape) - I guess this the COM wire. and grey into choc bloc
Set 2 is 2 different cables
A
) Light Brown wire with no tape.and blue into choc bloc
B) Light Brown wire with no tape.and blue into choc bloc

Set 3 is the Grey wire (with tape on it), a Dark Brown wire (i guess this is the other COM wire) and a Black wire (with tape on).
Set 4 is a single Light Brown wire.and blue into choc bloc

Is this correct?
upload_2019-4-14_18-0-8.png

Last edited:

o_O

Anyway...

You basically have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible

o_O

I couldn't agree more.
o_O

There are many sensible members on this forum who are perfectly able to guide appropriate 'beginners' through the procedures for identifying the cables, a classic example is here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garage-batten-flickering-leds-now-i-have-replaced-fluro.521280/ the irresponsible thing is not knowing when to call it quits.

OP is obviously out of his (or her) depth but I don't think we have yet established their full capabilities and whether it is possible to help, or what test kit they have available.

I could use big bold letters too but I don't think I'm that opinionated or such a big head within this thread. Meanwhile I'll await any further message from Circle87 if they haven't already been frightened off by unhelpful posts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I couldn't agree more.
You couldn't agree more with what? The falsified "Er... what?" smilies in the 'quotes' you posted?

There are many sensible members on this forum who are perfectly able to guide appropriate 'beginners' through the procedures for identifying the cables, a classic example is here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garage-batten-flickering-leds-now-i-have-replaced-fluro.521280/ the irresponsible thing is not knowing when to call it quits.
Explaining how to identify conductors with a multimeter is fine - if you read my post again you might see something relating to that in the list of items in Plan A.

What I think is irresponsible and dangerous is telling people to "try xxxx and see what happens". And what is irresponsible and short-sighted is using them as nothing more than a pair of robot hands.

I could use big bold letters too but I don't think I'm that opinionated or such a big head within this thread.
And I don't think that you are good enough at reading to contribute at all.

Meanwhile I'll await any further message from Circle87 if they haven't already been frightened off by unhelpful posts.
I don't suppose that you have even a shred of an ability to provide an intelligently argued explanation of what is unhelpful or frightening about giving people information on how lighting circuits are wired, do you.

Some replies posted in blue within quoted text.
You couldn't agree more with what? If you read my post you will see I have agreed with YOUR statement that guesswork and electrics do not mix. The falsified "Er... what?" smilies in the 'quotes' you posted? I have falsified or added nothing, merely not included your Plan A, Plan B and the next paragraph.

Explaining how to identify conductors with a multimeter is fine - if you read my post again you might see something relating to that in the list of items in Plan A. I have read your oft posted description of Plan A and Plan B which I'm sure you have noted I have not criticised or disputed

What I think is irresponsible and dangerous is telling people to "try xxxx and see what happens". I have already agreed with this. And what is irresponsible and short-sighted is using them as nothing more than a pair of robot hands. Which I do not argue with

And I don't think that you are good enough at reading to contribute at all. Please explain more.

I don't suppose that you have even a shred of an ability to provide an intelligently argued explanation of what is unhelpful or frightening about giving people information on how lighting circuits are wired, do you.
I have the ability to design, wire and fault find on all sorts of circuits, some of which are a hell of a lot more complicated than a simple domestic 2 way light circuit.
I believe I have the ability to assist others in OP's situation.
I believe I have the ability to recognise when the OP does not have the ability to do the work he or she is attempting.
I know when someone offers silly, stupid, wrong or downright dangerous advice.
I know when someone makes nasty and insulting posts.

In a few threads I've told OP's to get an electrician when it is apparent they don't have appropriate skills or dispute the accurate information they are being offered.

I have falsified or added nothing

Indeed, and sincere apologies for my mistake, and the false allegation.

I have the ability to design, wire and fault find on all sorts of circuits, some of which are a hell of a lot more complicated than a simple domestic 2 way light circuit.
I believe I have the ability to assist others in OP's situation.
I believe I have the ability to recognise when the OP does not have the ability to do the work he or she is attempting.
I know when someone offers silly, stupid, wrong or downright dangerous advice.
I know when someone makes nasty and insulting posts.
In a few threads I've told OP's to get an electrician when it is apparent they don't have appropriate skills or dispute the accurate information they are being offered.
I didn't tell the OP to get an electrician - I said it was an option if he didn't want to acquire the appropriate skills.

You agree with me that "Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea."

You agree with me that if someone is insufficiently skilled then they should get an electrician.

So just what was it about a post from me advising against electrical-installation-by-guesswork, providing links to information whereby the OP could acquire skills, and advising the use of an electrician if skills were not to be acquired, that upset you so much you saw fit to argue with me over it?

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-17_10-58-38.png
    upload_2019-4-17_10-58-38.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
o_O

Anyway...

PLAN A:

PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

As you are incapable of working it out for yourself I've greyed out the words I deleted in a previous post of yours. I'm sure if you can be bothered to study it you may just possibly see that what is left is an emoji that you inserted into your post and something you shouted.

o_O

Anyway...

PLAN A:

PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

As you are incapable of working it out for yourself I've greyed out the words I deleted in a previous post of yours. I'm sure if you can be bothered to study it you may just possibly see that what is left is an emoji that you inserted into your post and something you shouted.

So just what was it about a post from me advising against electrical-installation-by-guesswork, providing links to information whereby the OP could acquire skills, and advising the use of an electrician if skills were not to be acquired, that upset you so much you saw fit to argue with me over it?
This suggestion that there is no alternative to your oft repeated opinions, OR, there is nobody sensible.

It is apparent from a multitude of previous threads that the Plan C is alive and kicking on a forum specifically formed for sensible experts to help DIYers when they have got stuck.

If I were trying to be rude, I'd suggest that as you don't like the format of this forum perhaps you may prefer to find a forum that you do like the format of.

Last edited:
Justin case you still don't remember what you posted, I can draw red arrows too.
upload_2019-4-18_0-18-22.png

Indeed, and sincere apologies for my mistake, and the false allegation.

(Although I dispute the "shouting" part...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back