2way switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I have a 2way switch problem there are 2 2gang 2way switches with 3 light circuits on them. One of the lights doesnt work correct. Ihave to cross the room in day light and turn on the light then cross back over the room and turn it off again so that at night I can turn the light on when entering the room then turn it off at the other side. I have pulled off the switch plate and behind one it is all brown wire behind the other is old colours. If ipull out the downlight I can see it is connected to a celing rose I can also see what looks like a terminal block wrapped in electricains tape but I cant reach either of these. Please help thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify you have two double gang switches - that operate three lights (not three circuits) - Yes.

At the first switch one gang operates light A - the second gang operates light B. At the second switch one gang also operates light B and the other gang operates light C.

The problem lies with light B (two way) and lights A and C work correctly.

I assume that you have changed something either at the switch or the ceiling rose and now there is a problem.

What did you change?

Yes thats correct but ive just moved into the house so this was done by previous owners.

Have a look at this page on wiki it explains how two way lighting should be wired.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

You will need to look at both of your switches (with the circuit dead) and mark down what cable goes into each of the terminals (Common, L1 and L2) for the affected gang on each switch - there has probably been a mismatch. Also look to see if there is a terminal block in any of the backboxes

Clear photographs would help.

Sponsored Links
If ipull out the downlight I can see it is connected to a celing rose I can also see what looks like a terminal block wrapped in electricains tape but I cant reach either of these. Please help thankyou.

A couple of things wrong here: all the terminations should be accessible and properly enclosed. Insulation tape does not count!

You may have to lift the floor above to sort it out. I hope the rest of the electrics in the house aren't done to the same standard. Did you get a report done on the electrics before buying the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back