Wiring a 2gang 2way switch / light will not switch off

Is the red that you've joined in the terminal block from the same cable as the yellow and blue, or from the same cable as the black?

Sponsored Links
New intermediate -
As existing;
L1 - blue / black (red sleeve)
L1 - yellow (red sleeve) / red (no sleeve)
+
L2 - Black (new 3 core)
L2 - grey (new 3 core)

Try:

L2 - yellow (red sleeve) / red (no sleeve)
+
L2 - Black (new 3 core)
L1 - grey (new 3 core)

i.e. swap a pair diagonally.

(This is based on how MK describe 1 and 2 in the diagram on page 462 of https://www.mkelectric.com/Document...al Specifications/T08 ASPECT Tech 414-439.pdf )

Well, maybe, but from what has been said, I think Jamie has done it correctly.

Jamie, you say it doesn't work.

What exactly is it doing ?

If nothing at all, then there is no power going to the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Well, maybe, but from what has been said, I think Jamie has done it correctly.
I have to say that I'm inclined to agree.

It is, of course, that "I {or you} think" that would have caused all the drama in past times - and the OP would, in any event, have been too busy studying to answer any of your questions :)

Kind Regards, John

Jamiejones, what brand of intermediate switch is it? Did it come with any instructions?

EFLI & John, have a look at this thread from 2013 which is where you last both discussed an intermediate switch that is 90 degrees rotated from how you expected them to be. It's the same one as here, I think:
Yes, bizarre though it seems to me, such animals do exist - but, even if that's what the OP has got, his lights ought to work (switchable by the other switches) with the switch in one of its positions, shouldn't it? - yet the OP seems to be saying that the lights don't work at all.

Kind Regards, John.

I have had some improvement in situation.

This is based on;

L2 - yellow (red sleeve) / red (no sleeve)
+
L2 - Black (new 3 core)
L1 - grey (new 3 core)

The front room light can now be turn on at any of the 3 light switches (incl double switch)
HOWEVER;
I can only seem to turn it off at the intermediate switch if the others are on.- the other two will not switch the light off if the intermediate switch is on.
Singularly they all work perfectly; on/off

I have had some improvement in situation.
What did you do to improve the situation?

The front room light can now be turn on at any of the 3 light switches (incl double switch) ... HOWEVER; I can only seem to turn it off at the intermediate switch if the others are on.- the other two will not switch the light off if the intermediate switch is on. Singularly they all work perfectly; on/off
If endecotp is right in suggesting that you have a "turned through 90°" intermediate switch, then I think the situation should be that with one position of the intermediate switch, the other two switches would work normally (turning the light on and off), but with the other position of the intermediate switch, at least one of the other switches (probably both) will not turn the light on. Is that, or something like it, what you are experiencing?

Kind Regards, John

Guys I switched back to my original wiring - and all is working perfectly.

Thank you all so much for your time and help. It's been an eventful adventure.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back