2Gang 2Way Lighting Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the middle of adding wall lights to my living room but have came across a problem if someone could help out please.

I have a 2Gang 2Way switch at both ends of my living room and am looking to have a switch at each end one to control the wall lights and the other to control the main lights i the living room.

The original set up was 1Gang 2Way with 2core+E to one switch with 3 Core+E going between the 2.

I have now changed it and took a neutral feed from the ceiling rose to the wall lights with the live switch wire going to the light switch and was planing on bridging the main live between the 2 Gangs. I have then ran 3 Core+E to the switch at the other end of the living room. But my problem is when i switch on the ceiling light they work fine with both switch at each end of the living room but the wall light don't come on but if i switch the ceiling lights off the wall lights come on and i can switch them on and off from each end of the living room but can't get the 2 sets of light working at the same time. the wall light will only work if the ceiling ones are off.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Graeme

Sponsored Links
From your description it should work properly.

Does it 'work' as you describe with the ceiling lights in both off positions?

My first assumption is you have picked the ceiling switched live rather than the neutral

sounds to me like you have fed the switch for the wall lights via the wrong terminal of the other switch.
The original switch will have the permanent feed in either L1 or L2 not common.
You can only take the feed from the original switch that had the 2core & e and the 3 core.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like you have fed the switch for the wall lights via the wrong terminal of the other switch.
The original switch will have the permanent feed in either L1 or L2 not common.
You can only take the feed from the original switch that had the 2core & e and the 3 core.

You can still obtain a permanent live feed from the other switch at the other end of the room, since the perm live from the 2 core is maintained via a strapper wire from the 3 core.

Hi thanks to everyone for there time and replies very kind.

To answer a few questions asked here goes.

EFLImpudence - Yes wall lights work when both ceiling light are switched to the off position.

SUNRAY - I have re checked and neutral is defo wired correctly

One thing i am now noticing is that when i was checking wiring was correct for SUNRAY i was checking with my meter and had 244v across neutral and live with lights off when i switch light on i have 244v across neutral and live switch wire but not across neutral and live i was lead to believe the live should be constant at the ceiling rose would i be correct in saying this, As this would explain my problem if the live is going dead when light are switched on.

Cheers again Guys

EFLImpudence - Yes wall lights work when both ceiling light are switched to the off position.
I meant both off positions.
I.e. when off, flip both switches so it is off again.

SUNRAY - I have re checked and neutral is defo wired correctly

One thing i am now noticing is that when i was checking wiring was correct for SUNRAY i was checking with my meter and had 244v across neutral and live with lights off
You should.
when i switch light on i have 244v across neutral and live switch wire
but not across neutral and live
Should be the same.
i was lead to believe the live should be constant at the ceiling rose would i be correct in saying this, As this would explain my problem if the live is going dead when light are switched on.
Bit confused.
Test Live to earth.
If you have 240V on Live and Neutral (to Earth) it will read 0V L - N.

A very detailed description or photos of the switch wiring would really be helpful here, we caould then tell you exactly what the problem is.

HI EFLImpudence

Thanks again for the response here is my answer hope you can help from the results.

With ceiling lights in both off positions wall light work

with ceiling light off at the ceiling rose i get the following results

between N and L = 244v
between E and L = 244v
between N and SL = 0v
between E and SL = 0v

(SL) = switch live wire

with ceiling lights on at the ceiling rose i get the following results

between N and L = 0v
between E and L = 244v
between N and SL = 244v
between E and SL = 0v

(SL) = switch live wire

Thanks Again

Graeme

A very detailed description or photos of the switch wiring would really be helpful here, we caould then tell you exactly what the problem is.

Hi sparkwright

Whats the best way to attach photos and i will galdly attach them for all to see with description.

Thanks

Hi sparkwright

Whats the best way to attach photos and i will galdly attach them for all to see with description.

Thanks

Don't ask me!

I'm sure some bright young thing will tell you how.

Hi sparkwright

Thanks

Don't ask me!

I'm sure some bright young thing will tell you how.

Hi Sparkwright

Please find attached photos for you 1st one is the back of the switch with live feed coming in you will see i have bridged across to other side with brown wire the red wire here is the live.

//media.diynot.com/217000_216565_74916_49008846_thumb.jpg

Next photo is the back of the other switch with the 3 core + E wires

//media.diynot.com/217000_216565_74916_49008846_thumb.jpg

Hope these help

Cheers

links to photos above on the 1st link the right hand side is the ceiling light with live feed and left hand side is the wires for the wall lights

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back