3way switching conversion with 2gang 2way dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I am upgrading the lights in my bedroom. Currently its a single bulb, and a single on/off switch. I'm going to replace the existing light with 5 spots, and add another 'circuit' of 2 spots - giving a total of 7 spotlights. I'm trying to wire connections so that both circuits can be controlled from 3 separate places of the room - dimmers either side of the bed, and another from the existing light switch when you enter the room. Ideally I'd end up with double dimmers switches (dial type) in three separate places controlling the two circuits.

I'm having difficulty with wiring the two circuits, and finding the right components. The problem may be with my idea on how to do this. I have some experience with wiring. I'm looking at the cheapest and easiest way of doing this.

Am i right in thinking that I need to wire two 2gang 2way dimmer switches, and one 2gang 2way intermediate dimmer switch?

If so - can someone help with how to wire these correctly, and also information on where can i purchase white rotary dimmers of both these types?

cheers
David

Sponsored Links
No such thing as an intermediate dimmer, also you cannot use 2 conventional dimmers as 2 way. You can however get a master and slave dimmer arrangement such as: clicky, for the full range look at iQ Remote / Touch Control here.
What sort of spotlights are you looking to install and what are their ratings?

Many thanks Spark123. The spots are from B&Q - halogen - one set of 2 are 20w, the other set of 5 or so are also 20w. Cant find a link - GU?? - but they do not need transformers they come in packs of 3 or 5 and you wire them straight into the lighting circuit.

Would I need to wire the new circuit into the old switch, and replace that switch with a master 2g 2w dimmer, then wire in two slaves for the other parts of the room? What would the slave switches be wired into?

Is it just not possible to have three 2g 2w switches control two different circuits?

Advice much appreciated!

If you want to dim a circuit from 3 positions,
The cheapest way is

One two way dimmer
one intermediate SWITCH
One normal two way switch

This will obviously only dim at one position, ideally by the bed.
The other two will switch on/off at the level the dimmer has been left at.

failing that as spark 123 said a special dimmer and slave set up, but I am not sure if these will work with a strandard intermediate.
You may need the special master and slave and an extra second slave unit.
That will proberly dim at all 3 positions.

The wiring is the same both ways , from your existing switch you will need a three core and earth cable to the second switch and the same from the second to the third switch.
The wires from the original first switch to the light will be reused for the new lights , or replaced similar.

What about remote control via a handset.
Some can be programmed to a sky remote control
You fit that dimmer at the original switch position, and operate by hand, and have one or two remote handsets by the bed .

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice and ideas - the remote control seems the next best solution. I'll have another look at the master/slave dimmers.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back