Wiring a 2gang 2way switch / light will not switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In my front room I have 3 light switches. 2 switches for the front room light, 1 switch near the stairs for the upstairs hallway light.

I'm trying to wire in a 2 gang 2 way switch near the stairs (front room light/upstairs hall way light) so I don't have to walk back across the room just to turn the front room light off.

I seem to have wired everything correctly. The two way switch turns the upstairs light on and off perfectly BUT I can only turn the front room light on AND NOT off unless the other two switches are also off.

I have used twin an earth cable to spur the single front room light switch to the 2gang 2way switch near the stairs. However as I say it will not let me turn off unless the other two single switches are also tuned off.

Any help guys to make this two way switch fully functioning

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a diagram of the wiring of the front room circuit before and after your changes?
I suspect you've just connected the new switch in parallel with the old one, you actually need an intermediate switch (4 terminals) in one of the positions. Google intermediate switch for a diagram.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Alright guys I bought some 3 and core. Still having trouble wiring up. The double I.e. The right switch controlling upstairs works fine now. The trouble is with the one on the left of the double, that's one of three downstairs controlling the front room light. Here is the switch I'm spuring off to the double.....
Since wiring in, the front room light will now not turn on from any switch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 573
Why are there three wires in the terminals?

To make a one way switch 2 way, the two wires attached to the switch go in L1 and L2 (or L2 and L3), along with two wires from the new 3 core to the new 2nd switch.

Then the third wire in the 3 core goes to common.

At the new switch, the colours in L1 and L2 of what was the one way switch go to L1 and L2. The colour in common goes to the common terminal

I think I've just got it: Are you wanting to make the front room light a three way?

In which case you need to use an intermediate switch and wire it differently.

Apologies: JD got there ages before me....

I'm trying to wire in a 2 gang 2 way switch near the stairs (front room light/upstairs hall way light) so I don't have to walk back across the room just to turn the front room light off.

If you have two switches already for the front room, is there one at each end of the room? Have you got one at each door?

I'm struggling to understand the layout such that you need a third.

Pictures of the layout would be nice.

If I understand this right, you have two single switches in the front room, both acting on the front room light.

You also have a single switch at the foot of the stairs acting on the landing light.

You want to fit a 2 gang switch at the foot of the stairs with the additional switch acting on the front room light.

If this is the case, you need to find the single front room light switch with just a 3 core in. Run a new length of 3 core from here to the position you want to add the switch to.

The front room light switch with the two 3 cores you fit an intermediate switch to (see Wiki).

A 2G 2W switch goes in place of the landing switch, with the existing wires fitted to landing side and the new 3 core wired to the front room side.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't explained myself properly.

A single switch is on the wall opposite to this.
This switch is a single on the wall near the stairs.
I want to wire in a double switch next to the stairs;
I have wired the upstairs lighting to the double switch fine.
BUT connecting the other switch on the double to the single switch (along the wall) in the front room (like the previous two) is proving troublesome for me.

The brown and grey wired in as shown (along with black, are the new 3 core and earth connecting to the double)

So you have "piggy-backed" off the connections that are already there with the new 3 core?

IE added to the red/yellow and blue/black that were there when you opened the switch?

This will not work.

Including the switch you want to add, how many switches will control the front room light?

At this point, your simplest fix is to replace the single switch "along the wall" with an "intermeidate" switch.
Buy one of those, and then post a clear photo of the wiring of the existing single switch at that position.
Then wait for someone to tell you what to connect where. You may also need some terminal blocks.

So you have "piggy-backed" off the connections that are already there with the new 3 core?

IE added to the red/yellow and blue/black that were there when you opened the switch?

This will not work.

Including the switch you want to add, how many switches will control the front room light?

Yes that's correct

Yes that's correct

Three, including the double I'm trying to wire in.

.....If this is the case, you need to find the single front room light switch with just a 3 core in. Run a new length of 3 core from here to the position you want to add the switch to.

The front room light switch with the two 3 cores you fit an intermediate switch to (see Wiki).

A 2G 2W switch goes in place of the landing switch, with the existing wires fitted to landing side and the new 3 core wired to the front room side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back