Wiring a 2way switch (bathroom is 1way, hallway is 2way)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Light switch at top of the stairs for the hallway light:
Light switch at the bottom of the stairs (left switch for the toilet, right switch for the hallway -this is the two way light, the toilet is one way):

This is the 2gang light switch (to turn hallway light on/off and the down stairs toilet light on/off:

The wires in the downstairs light switch wall:

Hi guys,

I have a light switch at the top of the stairs which is working fine. But I have a problem with the downstairs 2gang switch.
Unfortunately one of the wires popped out which is why it wasn't working.. and now I don't know where any of them go. I need some help wiring this bad boy back up.

Currently, I have the two wires in the COM slots as you can see, these are the dark brown wires. I just dont know where the other 6 wires go!

As you can see there is a black wire on the left (with tape i guess it means its live) and then 2 light brown wires. Then i have the black wire on the right (again with tape on so I guess this is the live wire) a gray wore (also taped) and another light brown wire.

The plug is already earthed so that's not a problem.

Can anyone please tell me where these wires should go? I.e. what one goes into the left L1 and L2 slots, and what ones go in the right L1 and L2 slots?

If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wiring-please-help.521446/#ixzz5l1S5DAfQ

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 15552006483854834266930104686699.jpg
    15552006483854834266930104686699.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 257
If you can edit that picture and diagram the ports I.e. Left L1, left L2 and Right L1, Right L2.

Bare in mind the left switch is the 1way bathroom light I.e only that switch turns the toilet light on and off, and the right switch is the 2way hallway light that turns the hallway light on( and the switch at the top of the stairs also turns on the hallway light on and off).
Many thanks for all your help

Sponsored Links
Not completely. Untangle them and pull each cable's wires away from the bunch.

Also, do all the other lights still work?
Is there a fan wired from there which comes on with the light?

I don't hold out much hope without you being able to test for certain things.

I have to go to bed now, I'm afraid.

Ok thanks anyway mate. Yes! There is a fan that comes on with the light!

Do you think they Gray wire is the fan? As that has take around it meaning it's a live wire, right?

Anyone have any idea? I mean even a general idea like.. black and brown in left L1, nothing in L2, Black Grey and Brown in L2, Brown in L1... I don't know what colour should go where.

All I know is the black wires and Gray wire has take around it - guessing this means its live?

Be patient, The advice comes from volunteers who do it in their spare time. This is my tea break from working on my cottage.

which black which brown has to be known before any SAFE advice about what goes where can be attempted..

Apologies. I'm just a bit panicky. Many thanks for all your help. Here is what they are.

There are 4 cables coming out the wall. I.e. 4 sets.
Set 1 coming from one cable is Black wire (with tape) and a Dark Brown wire (with no tape) - I guess this the COM wire.
Set 2 is just 2 Light Brown wires with no tape.
Set 3 is the Grey wire (with tape on it), a Dark Brown wire (i guess this is the other COM wire) and a Black wire (with tape on).
Set 4 is a single Light Brown wire.

The lights involved is a single bathroom right (one switch), and a stair hallway light that is turned on and off from the same switch the bathroom light is on, but also from a single Light switch at the top of the stairs.

As a side note, the Earthing is fine. Idon't know how to tell which set powers what light or which set is for the fan - i just feel an overwhelming sensation of "I've f**ked it".

Attachments

• 20190414_103922.jpg
    20190414_103922.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 296
well I think you will struggle to get that fully working off this forum, so you may want to search an electrican!

But generally the upstairs switch wires will come down in one grey cable and only connect to that side of the switch (right side?). So if you are correct that brown is com, then grey and black (from the same grey cable) will go into L1 and L2. It doesn't matter which way round.

Then the downstairs lights, and toilet.

It's unlikely anyone is going to be able to tell you exactly the right combi sat behind a computer.

Mark the brown that is already in COM with paint. (if you are sure that is correct).
Then shove all the browns into the toilet COM terminal

Shove the black into L2

If you have a home for all wires you could try turning the power back on. :whistle: First upstairs. See if the stair light works, and ensure none of the downstairs lights work. Then turn downstairs MCB on. You will hopefully find all downstairs lights work and the toilet light is stuck on. The switch will control that black wire. Does that turn the fan off after a while.

If you have got that far then that is luckly. turn off upstairs mcb. Leave it off. Turn downstairs mcb off. Then it is a case of finding out which brown wire does the toilet light. You could remove a brown in turn from COM. safetly insulate it. Turn downstairs mcb on. Sometimes you will find the other lights downstairs will not work, sometimes you will find the bathroom light does not work. WHen you have found the one which stops the bathroom light from working, put it in L2.

Good luck! i'm sure everyone on here will hate me :cautious:

As you can see there is a black wire on the left (with tape i guess it means its live)
All the wires are live.

Can anyone please tell me where these wires should go?
No, because without some basic testing, there is no way to know how it was wired originally or where any of those wires go.
Any replies would be guessing, and that is not how electrical work is done.

The plug is already earthed so that's not a problem.
What plug?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back