External paintwork blistering above imprinted concrete drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an imprinted concrete drive laid a few years ago. After a while I noticed the external paintwork on the stone window cill had bubbled. Despite stripping and repainting, the paint still bubbles. Can anyone suggest a solution? I think some acid from the concrete stain has got onto the cill. What can I use to neutralise it?

Sponsored Links
No, I had a crazy paving drive before with no problems with the paintwork.

Scrape off the loose paintwork and using a stiff bristle brush scrub the cill a few times with warm water, when dry apply a thinned coat of your paint, It may be all they need.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that, as the drive was done a few years ago, any acid/chemical residues would have been washed away by the rain by now.

It's a heck of a long shot, but is it possible that the new drive has bridged the house's dampcourse allowing water to wick up the wall and somehow escape through/cause efflorescence within the cill? :confused:

The op said that the cill was stone and therefore very porus, the natural capillery action would have easily been capable of absorbing the acid or indeed whatever it was rather deeply. If a quick scrape and repaint was undertaken there remains the possiblity of further breakdown of the paintwork.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back