Painting Wood & Masonry After "Strip Away"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have removed the paint from a section of wooden window frame and adjoining concrete window cill using "Strip Away" paste.

After removing the paste I neutralised the wood and masonry with the neutraliser, diluting it 50% as instructed on the bottle, then, rinsed it clean several times with a sponge.

Am I now OK to paint the wood with Dulux Trade Aluminium wood primer and the concrete cill with Dulux Trade Weathershield masonry paint or do I need to use some other primers?

The wood still has a smell of acetic acid from the neutraliser even though I rinsed it with water so my concern is that I might get a reaction over time with the paint and have to start again at a later date.

Rgds

Sponsored Links
Jack keeping well I hope

If you have used the neutraliser you should have recieved a small section of litmus paper, it would need to go from blue to a light green which will indicate that it is safe to paint. If you remain to be in anyway unsure you should first apply one coat of a Alkali Resisting Primer before you continue.

Dec

TheDec,

Yes, OK thanks, I hope you are also keeping well.

The reason I did not ask about the alkali resisting primer is that the residual smell is of acetic acid from the neutraliser so I am assuming the pH would be on the very slightly acidic side of neutral. I could understand the need for the alkali resisting primer if I had not neutralised the caustic residues from the "Strip Away" as it would indeed be alkali with ph greater than 7.

If the wood is on the marginally acidic side I cannot see what benefit there would be from using a primer that is resistant to the alkali side of neutral ? If the wood is on the slightly acidic side of neutral do I need any special primer?

I will test the wood with litmus paper to get a clearer idea of the pH.

Rgds

Jack

I will have no way of knowing what the ph in your case would be, the suggestion of the use of an Alkali Resistant Primer was to act merely as a surety that your intended paint system would not fail. If the litmus test proves that it is safe to continue without the need of the primer then fine, yet if in your mind any doubt exists you should apply the primer.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hey Jack. Have you run out of tablets again? :rolleyes:

.... If the litmus test proves that it is safe to continue without the need of the primer then fine, yet if in your mind any doubt exists you should apply the primer.

TheDec,

Thx for the reply.

The litmus shows the concrete cill as neutral and the wood as alkali even though the wood smells of acetic acid.

To be safe I will apply some more neutraliser, rinse it with clean water then give it a coat of alkali resisting primer.

Would you know if I can still use the aluminium wood primer on top of the alkali resisting primer as I was going to use this to block Knots and any resinous exudances. Or, would it be better to use knotting solution then alkali resisting primer and forget the aluminium primer?

Rgds
Jack

Jack

The application again of the neutraliser may offer you neutral reading so there will be no need to apply the Alkali Resistant primer, if however it does not I would apply a knotting solution beforehand and skip in this case the use of the Aluminium primer.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back