External Perimeter Security - Anybody used Dakota Alert 2500 ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got to install a wireless perimeter system this weekend on a farm that's been turned over...Quad/ various plant stolen.

he has purchased a Dakota 2500 beam kit with 6 sensors / 1 vehicle detectors and a pager.......Apparently its American product but Ive not used it.....

Anybody got any info before I put my name to the job.....Ned the farmer is a sort of acquaintance who normally pays with livestock OR at least a year ago he gave me a complete
cut up lamb of which we still have some remaining for fitting a visonic in a barn :)

Thx to comment
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Anybody got any info before I put my name to the job.....Ned the farmer is a sort of acquaintance who normally pays with livestock OR at least a year ago he gave me a complete
cut up lamb of which we still have some remaining for fitting a visonic in a barn :)
Cant help with the alarm but unless he's your best mate then your selling your labour way too cheap, what's a full cut up lamp worth about £100? also does meat last over a year :sick:

No hes certainly not a best mate BUT he does let me rip on my motocross bike around one of his fields - keep um sweet and all that...

The lamb was frozen........really good way to buy Lamb if you like it :)

Cheers
Matt

Apparently its American product
Check that the wireless channel ( frequency ) is one approved for use in the UK and that the ERP ( Effective Radiated Power ) from the various transmitters are compliant with the regulations for Licence Exempt wireless equipment. Some American equipment is specified as 434 MHz which is close to 433.92 MHz which is permitted in the UK for Licence Exempt equipment. Whether it is actually 433.92 and thus legal ( assuming ERP is compliant ) I do not know.

Also check the eauipment will work over the distances and remember that heavy rain can increase loss and range can be reduced to less than that needed.

If the criminals are coming equiped to remove vehicles then they are likel y to be equiped to jam a basic wireless alarm signal. Hence if jamming occurs then the owner should be alerted. Jamming detection will give a few minutes advance warning of a "professional" attempt to steal.

Fitting trackers to the plant enabling them to be located and recovered is cost effective.

Sponsored Links
Funnily Bernard there was a tracker on the quad...the police know it went to Ireland......Its ok but Horse n bolt spring to mind!

Hence early warning means Farmer Ned plus 12 bore can intercept any pikes!

Hence early warning means Farmer Ned plus 12 bore can intercept any pikes!

I have sent you a PM,

Two farmers aware that gate alarms had been "tested" on a couple of occasions prepared for the attack with trailers that could be deployed rapidly across the two lanes leading to the area. They closed the roads forcing the crooks to go off road, the car they had come in bogged down and they fled on foot. It was not a stolen car so they were traced and dealt with

Thx Bernard!....now back to my original question........has anybody tried the Dakota 2500 system?

No ...but it looks "pants " on YouTube , 1980s Scantronic radio stuff comes to mind !

I suppose if you want to use American rubbish, and their alarm equipment is, not even anti-tamper protection on much that I have seen.
(An alarm company I visited in LA a few years ago) Not even on a lot of control panels!!!!! Carry on

Who is going to maintain and service it for you? There does not seem to be a supplier over here and no mention of overseas sales on their web site.

Hey guys just to make you aware , it is an alert system NOT a full on alarm system.

For all intense purposes, it really is very good.......

Basically we fitted a probe alongside farm drive...the probe is connected to a black box which was screwed onto a post
and it all looks very low key - ie no one would suspect device. Inside black box are the batteries and sensitivity adjuster/ transmitter.
The probe is a plastic coated coil so I'm guessing it works off induction principle. The probe only detects vehicles.

The receiver is just over 400 metres away in a farm house......we assigned probe to CH1 and then on CH2 we fitted three external PIR's
around farm yard, mounted at 1.2Metres....the beam is more laser beam like rather a conventional spread. You can walk right upto beam
and it will not trigger unless you cut through. Was advised to send beam onto a backstop of no more than 20 metres away to
avoid false alarms.

The receiver emits different tones per channel and you can add multiple receivers if required although a portable pager is available
tho Ive not seen this. The Rx has 4 SSR's for diallers etc and what I really like is that there is a 12v assignable output for a siren - me
thinks a klaxon Master blaster.

The ease of install and the range of applications has got me thinking big time although I'll wait a few months to see how this performs.

Farmer Ned gave me two lambs this time - anybody got a discarded freezer :)

Thx
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back