External Playroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a brick built, flat roof detached garage in our back garden that we would like to convert the rear half into a playroom. Despite being re-felted around ten years ago (the roofing company only replaced the boards to the front half) the boards on the rear half are showing signs of damp and so are the timber joists (only 100mm joists spanning around 2700mm). The existing roof falls from front to rear over a distance of around 6mtrs but looking at the wall plates internally and the puddle that forms on the rear of the roof every time it rains I believe we will need to alter these plates and replace the joists etc.
I'm not really going for building regs quality but could use some advice on insulating said area as we will probably end up with a small wall mounted 2kw heater just to keep the chill off.
Floor I was considering a DPM with only 25mm celotex and chipboard with laminate finish, the rear and right hand walls are solid brick so perhaps 35mm timber battens with more 25mm celotex between (10mm air gap?) and 12.5mm plasterboard with plaster finish. The left hand wall requires rebuilding as someone had previously cut in a window and door (rather poorly leaving wall looking a little unstable), remove what little brickwork is left and replace with a new 100mm timber stud wall, UPVC cladding externally, 100mm mineral wool insulation and plasterboard/plaster internally? The roof as previously mentioned needs replacing throughout, upgrade joists to 150mm at 400mm centres with 100mm mineral or celotex? In between leaving a 50mm air gap above, new ply or chip deck and re-felt?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I know it's going to cost a few quid hence I would like to do it reasonably properly avoiding any possible damp issues through not having air gaps etc.

Sponsored Links
Given that long list of major problems, quicker and cheaper to demolish and rebuild the whole thing?

Sponsored Links
Possible Change of Use. But will require Building Regs approval.

Possible Change of Use. But will require Building Regs approval.
That's very random advice. It's not a change of use, still domestic outbuilding. He may need it for demolish and rebuild if it's larger than pd size or in a conservation area etc. But that's not clear yet.
Building regs also not needed as it's smaller than the specified floor area and non combustible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back