External Re-render for the South Coast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live by the sea near Portsmouth. Current render on south facing fall is cracked to bits, full of water and 12 year old pressure paint coating is falling off. Damp coming through the walls.
Propose to take render off and re-render with a "waterproof coat" of some description.
What's recommended over Sto, Jub, parex etc. and what sort of cost can I expect for 32 m2 of render.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Suggest that you read up on recent past posts ref external render, and think about all the other variables that need thinking about before any rendering is decided upon or installed.

eg. cavity insulation, cav ties, state of masonry backing, external insulation, why only one elevation etc.

I'm also in Portsmouth. Render is rarely applied to older walls that are sound and dry, unless there is some decorative intention. Render is however, often applied when dampness is already present, and may cause further damage to the structure and dampness problems inside if the true cause of the original damp is not remedied. If render applied in the past is cracking and falling off, then re-rendering may not be a permanent solution.

What sort of walls have you got, what is the thickness (measurement made on an external wall where a window is located), and when was the property built?

Where's the internal dampness present?

Some photos, inside and out, would be of use to diagnose the reasons, and suggest a course of action, which may be less expensive and more effective and permanent than a return to the status quo.

For instance, the later Victorian and Edwardian housing stock around here was built with unfilled cavity walls, to protect the inner leaf of the wall from the sort of incessant driving southerly/southwesterly rain that has characterised this winter's weather. These walls were never intended to be waterproof, but weather resistant, and capable of shedding the majority of the rainwater, and drying out later. Sadly, the available wall ties - black japanned wrought iron fishtails have rusted over the last century causing horizontal cracks in the mortar joint, as the rust expanded in the bedding mortar. There may be associated structural instability.

So, if any of the cracks in the render are long and horizontal, there is a need to isolate the remains of the wall ties from the outer leaf of brickwork, repair the crack, and use stainless steel wall tie replacements, before considering any further action.

I live in a terrace of houses built by the local council. Penetrating damp appeared in all of them, in the south facing wall only, after the council installed cavity wall insulation. They came back and took off the original roughcast render, replaced wall ties and added extra ventilation bricks in the wall and by the cavity trays and re-rendered the wall with sand/cement smooth finish and masonry paint. That seemed to help for a couple of years, during which I bought the property. Then it seemed to get worse.

The Council then added a top coat of Silitect-T, a pre-mixed silicone resin render made by Alsecco to the rented houses.
I chose to add a pressure sprayed paint coating. That lastest quite a few years on before it started to peel off the south wall only, other east and north walls are still fine.

So that's where I am now, with an old coating peeling off, render cracked quite badly, and damp coming through the walls in most of the rooms. The council houses with the silitect-T top coat render are fine.

Sponsored Links
brewp,

For a householder you appear to know rather a lot of technical details? Just saying.

Kind of lucky that the poster called Flyboytim lives nearby, and serendipously has such answers? Just like that.

brewp,

For a householder you appear to know rather a lot of technical details? Just saying.

Kind of lucky that the poster called Flyboytim lives nearby, and serendipously has such answers? Just like that.
Not sure what you're trying to say saying here.
Can we return to my original question :-
I Propose to take render off and re-render with a "waterproof coat" of some description.

What's recommended over Sto, Jub, parex etc. and what sort of cost can I expect for 32 m2 of render.

Thanks

Product properties for Silitec-T from http://www.gypcom.com/files/SystemSpecs/Alsecco/Silitect_T.pdf :

Highly water-repellent to DIN 18550
Weather-resistant
Water-vapour permeable
No equalizing coat required
Highly resistant to mechanical stress
Various design options as a result of different particle sizes
Additional fungicidal formulation is possible
Highly flexible
Easy application
Wide range of colours
Proof against driving rain

I guess that the pressure sprayed paint you applied was not breathable, and may have led to deterioration of the wall/render interface. Worse, the cavity wall insulation has no possibility of drying out and hence the progressive internal damp.

As a Council Tax payer, why don't you ask the council's housing maintenance people if that may be the problem and what they would suggest as the best course of action in your case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back