External Render and Mesh

s85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having the exterior walls of my whole house rendered. The existing render has been removed down to the brickwork (which is in bad shape). The new loft gable wall has the thermalite blocks and the new ground floor extension has the dense concrete blocks.

My builder will be doing a scratch coat (sand and cement) first and then will do the second coat of sand and cement with a pebble dash finish.

I want to insert a fibre-glass mesh into the middle of the scratch coat to stop cracks appearing in the future and was planning on using the pink BOND IT RENDER MESH from selco.

Can I use this mesh for sand and cement?
Or is there a better one that someone can recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also, would need some sort of waterproofer need to be put in the scratch coat and/or top coat?

I'm planning on painting the pebble dash afterwards.

The mesh is fine.
Waterproofer in the scratchcoat and plasticiser in the dash receiver coat...your builder will know this.

Thanks.

Is sika-1 the recommended/ acceptable waterproofer to use in external rendering in this case?

Also ive read that walls should be breathable. The waterproofer will help prevent water penetrating the render to the brick and blocks, but then would it also stop the walls from being breathable, potentially affecting the outer skin of the wall from drying out?

Sponsored Links
Unless you are living in an 18th century building with no cavity the render is designed to be impervious! the cavity allows your building to breath.
there are many types/brands of plasticisers and waterproofers all do mucho the same some better than others...Silka being one of the better brands.

...or 19th or early 20th century buildings.

I drilled into the walls of a Victorian terrace (built 1902) to inject a damp course and the brick and mortar dust from the outer courses came out as mud. I think it's partly because of the c.1980s render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back