External render paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to paint the pebbledash rendering on the gable side of my 1820s end of terrace cottage. I am considering using the Dulux Weathershield Back Pack Roller system which uses battery power to pump paint to the roller. Does anyone have experience of using this? Does it actually work or is it one of those DIY devices that doesn't quite deliver on its promise?

Also I am not sure whether to stabilise the surface first. It is a bit chalky and dusty, but I am concerned about inhibiting the breathability of the wall. All the actual masonry paints I've looked at claim to allow the surface to breathe but none of the associated stabilising products make this claim.

The roof slates on the gable end overhang the facias by about four inches and in the past the exposed underside of these tiles have been painted either with a thin white paint or whitewash. This is now looking quite faded and shabby, particularly since I repainted the woodwork. If I decide to repaint these tiles what type of paint should I use. Obviously I don't want to do something that starts to peel off after a few months.

Sponsored Links
Id forget about those new-fangled back-pack gadgets, theyre just an (expensive) way to get amateurs to part with money, buy a good thick/deep masonary roller sleeve from a trade shop & use Dulux (trade)weathershield 2-3 coats , after brushing off excessively loose/flaky material, the first coat (slightly thinned)should bind anything remaining.
Same paint would be fine on the tile undersides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back