Re-painting a rendered house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A question about the need for a stabilising primer before repainting my rendered house walls.

We had the house completely re-rendered, then painted, 15 years ago. The paint has generally weathered very well but now needs a new coat (same Magnolia colour) just to brighten up the house. My only concern is that when I run my fingers over the surface a chalky residue comes away on my fingers. I have read that chalky/friable surfaces need a stabilising primer before painting.

I would welcome views on the benfits/risks of using a primer in this instance. I plan to use either Dulux Smooth Weathershield or Sandtex Ultrasmooth Masonary - any views on these paints also welcome.

Thanks,
Shaun

Sponsored Links
These days when I do exterior decorating I use a pressure jet washer to clean off the walls first, this clears the dust, loose paint etc,
if the paint is still loose and friable then a stabiliser would be useful.
You will really need two coats of magnolia weathershield for a lasting job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back