Removing masonry paint from rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - would very much appreciate some advice.

I need to remove a layer of Sandtex masonry paint and the underlying Dulux Weathershield stabiliser layer from our rendered extension.

I have tried sanding, scraping and Nitromors general purpose paint stripper, none of which seem up to the (very time consuming and tedious) job. The sum total of my "efforts" to date can be viewed in my uploaded photo album below.

As the paint stripper seems to be the only method to date which has achieved anything at all, please could anyone recommend a suitable product to make this job less painful? I would rather avoid the peel-off systems and am no longer too worried whether the recommendation is environmentally friendly or not.

Also, when I repaint, if I have gone back to the rendering, will I need to prep that surface is any way, or can I just apply the new Sandtex paint straight on it?

Finally, will the exposed rendering be adequately "water resistant" in the interim?

Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Can I ask why, you wish to remove the old masonry, and not just paint over it?. You are making much work for yourself! As the only way I know of removing masonry is to have it sandblasted off.

Hi sunshinex

When the extension was repainted last year, a coat of stabiliser was "unnecessarily" put on the old paintwork. The result was poor adhesion, bubbling and flaking.

These two layers now need to come off, but the rendering appears impervious to my attempts!

In my experience, the stab solution that was used previously should not have any adverse affect towards the top coat of masonry.That is unless.... the extension was newly rendered when last painted?. In which case, it would have put a barrier between the drying wall, and the masonry paint, therefore causing the prob. It could also be the simple fact that neat coats of masonry were applied to new the render( in addition to the stab sol). This would also have the same effect, in fact probably worse!. As that would create more barriers, and the wall cannot breathe to dry out properly. Unfortunately, the parts that have stuck, will not come away easily. Prepare for some long hard work, and a lot of nitromors. Sorry there is no easy answer to your question, but I hope this helps.

Good Luck :)

Sponsored Links
It might be cheaper to consider having it re-rendered!. Or you could maybe try an acid etch solution.

Try here:
http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/I_want_to_remove.htm

I was just about to start a thread about stripping the paint off the front of my house. The company above are excellent but be warned, the chemicals are really, REALLY nasty. I used NB-410 and it's like Nitromors concentrated x 10. I sniffed the top of the container (when it was sealed shut) and it stang my eyes, they are THAT strong. Depending on what kind of paint it is will depend on the type of stripper you need. They do sample packs of different types of stripper which will help you determine the best kind. Give them a ring, they are happy to advise.

Also be careful as it's a very, very messy job. If you take your time and prepare for it results are very good though.

Try here:
http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/I_want_to_remove.htm

I was just about to start a thread about stripping the paint off the front of my house. The company above are excellent but be warned, the chemicals are really, REALLY nasty. I used NB-410 and it's like Nitromors concentrated x 10. I sniffed the top of the container (when it was sealed shut) and it stang my eyes, they are THAT strong. Depending on what kind of paint it is will depend on the type of stripper you need. They do sample packs of different types of stripper which will help you determine the best kind. Give them a ring, they are happy to advise.

Also be careful as it's a very, very messy job. If you take your time and prepare for it results are very good though.
Hi sunshinex

When the extension was repainted last year, a coat of stabiliser was "unnecessarily" put on the old paintwork. The result was poor adhesion, bubbling and flaking.

These two layers now need to come off, but the rendering appears impervious to my attempts!

I know that this should have been answered a long time ago, however if anyone else is viewing this try a steam cleaner lots of mess but no chemicals, it worked for me, very time consuming but worth while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back