External Rendering Brick Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I love a bit of diy, not to save money - just to have a go!
I have a cavity wall *brick not block* and want to have a go at rendering it, it's attached to an outbuilding which doesn't have any value I just use it for diy experimenting as such.

It has a wall window opening which has a crack above, It would be great if somebody could provide the following:

Mesh to use above the crack and should I use some structural stitching above the window the strengthen it?
Render mix (I was going to use lime, cement and sand - I want to use lime as a trial).
Number of coats, will one scratch coat and a top coat be enough? I want to stipple, not smooth.
Which coat need weatherproofer etc or anything else?

What kit would you recommend, e.g. trowel and straight edge tool? The area is 30m2, which gives me enough area to play with.

Thanks, looking forward to your expert advice - quite excited to give it a go.

Sponsored Links
The best place to get advice or even a knowledge of basic questions is THE PLASTERERS FORUM , on there are guides written by the pros and they will be able to give you the best advice on preparations and mixes etc.
You will have to join the forum but it's no big deal, just remember to post a welcome message to introduce yourself and the help wil be forthcoming.

Look on the how to guides first as many of your questions will be answered there.

Good luck
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back