External rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting here as I think I posted it in the wrong place - Building!

Have had some external rendering on a old cottage and was originally going to have barge boards or upvc fascia put on. However reconsidering, I am thinking I should have just left it rendered to the top (underneath the slates as was originally). However, the general builder last a gap at the top of the render and started to put batons on to affix the fascia to them. He was going to also add DPC membrane behind the fasicas before fixing them.

A) Should he have rendered all the way up then fixed to the render?
B) If I want to 'complete' the render up to underneath the slates, how do I bridge the gap that it wood on edge of roof line. Do I need to mesh it and add a premixed render or a mix?

BTW - I have stopped the builder as his workmanship is awful.

Thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
Do you have pics of how it was?

Why not post pics of what you've got, and a scanned sketch of what you want?

Things to consider: your slates should project out beyond the face of the wall - fascias are typically fixed to rafter tails.

I dont understand the DPC business?

Did or will the cottage have gutters?

What type of walls have you got? I done a similar job last year on a new build I scratched coated all the way to the top but only put the top coat to the bottom of the PVC panels I didn't see a need to final finish the top but I had to cover the top of the wall because it was blockwork, being an old cottage yours would be stone or brick if it had render on before I would take it to the top

Thanks for all your answers. Please see the pictures. The picture whereby you can see the power lines 'going into' the property is at the opposite end to that has been re-rendered.
The slate only hangs on by approx 1.5 inches.

Attachments

• DSC_0552.JPG
    DSC_0552.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0548.JPG
    DSC_0548.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0549.JPG
    DSC_0549.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0550.JPG
    DSC_0550.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0551.JPG
    DSC_0551.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
What type of walls have you got? I done a similar job last year on a new build I scratched coated all the way to the top but only put the top coat to the bottom of the PVC panels I didn't see a need to final finish the top but I had to cover the top of the wall because it was blockwork, being an old cottage yours would be stone or brick if it had render on before I would take it to the top
How were the pvc panels (bargeboards) fixed to the walls? On a pine (gable end?)

I don't know how they were fixed I only done the render they added the panels later also it wasn't a house it was an out building that someone had had built and the panels come halfway down the wall which I thought you was talking about , now I've seen your pictures looks like its just around the top you are having it, may I ask what's wrong with his work? I'm viewing off a phone so can't really see anything bad

I think the best way to finish off up each side of the gable would be to tack some dpc to the slate battens and the timber that is running up the gable that is just above the render. Then hack a bit of the render off and double up some s/steel mesh and tack it to the slate battens and the timber that's running up the gable (Like I said with the dpc.) But make sure the s/s mesh is fixed about 4 to6 inches down from the timber and is hilti-nailed (with washers) into the solid wall or remaining render coat that you have left when you have hacked abit off to take the mesh. Then that area gets rendered and where it meets the slates (which you said were about an inch and a half proud of the render) (which is fine) you can taper the last 2 inches of render in slightly so there is a little chamfer under the slates and that should help kick the water off.. I wouldn't put wood up under the slates it doesn't need it .Just finish it off the way I have said,, No Probs;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back