External soil pipe leaking at seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I was about to start painting my external soil pipe when I noticed it was leaking. It looks like there is a silicone seal which has perished.

My questions are:

What is used to actually seal the joint between the coupling socket (not sure if thats the right term) and bottom part of the soil pipe?

How do I go about replacing the seal?

I have stopped using the upstairs bathroom in the hope that it will stop leaking so I can take out the seal and replace it. Is my thinking flawing here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

View media item 36030View media item 36031View media item 36032

Sponsored Links
Just had a thought, it the cast has perished badly, the other options are.

1) use a rubber band coupling high level (not sightly)
2) cut the cast out low level and renew it up in plastic.

Thanks looneyfitter,

I believe the coupler is plastic and I thought the soil pipe was clay. There is another coupler and brackets at the bottoms where are iron.

How easy is it to replace the coupling? I should say I am no diy expert to say the least.

Do I cut it out with a recip saw or something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
More than likey cast mate, Id cut it out from the fit a cast-plastic adapter then re-fit it in plastic. Pretty simple tbh. The easiest option is a band coupling but as said bud they dont look too nice.

You can cut that socket off with a £6 disposable hand saw :idea: then use a fernco flexseal fitting as suggested by loonyfitter - not that unsightly in my opinion , if you position it with the screws @ the back ;)

Yes looneyfitter you are right it is cast iron.

Thanks guys. I have a good understanding now.

I'll have a look at the flexseal fitting. If it looks ok, I'll go ahead.

Thanks again.

So they used a plastic coupling on cast and used tons of silicone, which is now failing.

Hi xr4x4, I think you referring to the original job.

Since I've moved in I have discovered loads of plumbing problems. It seems the problems all relate to a botched loft conversion. They had the soil pipe running level from the toilet, in fact it was practically going upwards. The pipes for the radiators and water supply are all over the place.

I dread when I'll find the next one!

Do you agree with looneyfitter and Nige F regarding the repair?

Hi xr4x4, I think you referring to the original job.

Since I've moved in I have discovered loads of plumbing problems. It seems the problems all relate to a botched loft conversion. They had the soil pipe running level from the toilet, in fact it was practically going upwards. The pipes for the radiators and water supply are all over the place.

I dread when I'll find the next one!

Do you agree with looneyfitter and Nige F regarding the repair?

Yup, sounds like a plan.

Silicone wasn't the way to do it!

Just thought on, you could also use a propper 4" cast coupling. Can't remember who make them but drain Center could order you one. Has two cast half's and a rubber band seal. This bolts over the seal. Would be slot easier for you that way and will look fine painted. See I I can find you a link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back