External Stepped cracks on house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need some advice,
We bought our house 4 years ago and only got a mortgage valuation.

Nothing was flagged up on the valuation, however the house we bought had stepped cracks on the front and the rear of the building.

The cracks are around 3mm on the front and 2mm on the back.

The cracks havent moved over the last 4 years and no internal cracks have appeared.
So it appears to be historical and non-progressive.

My partners grandad runs a building company and has suggested that the cracks are historical and nothing to worry about and I'm wondering whether I should just get them repointed.

Also slightly worried that the cracks could be a result of lintel failure and maybe I should get that checked.

I have spoken to a structural engineer and also considering if its worth getting them to have a look for peace of mind

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
where are the cracks in relation to that long-term leaking gutter?

how old is the house?

They are in the wrong place for lintel failure, and look too even for foundation movement, and most likely to be thermal (shrinkage) as the mortar looks really strong.

Pointing will show up as a big pointed up crack, unless some amount of blending in to a wider area is done.

Sponsored Links
Hi Both,
really appreciate the replys,

The gutter in the front has a slight leak which falls on to the top of the porch cannopy we are planning on replacing this month,

my partners grandad did a check on the drains when we first moved in and all seemed to be in working order.

the house was built around 1980, similar houses in the street seem to have stepped cracks near windows so wasnt sure if this was a common thing.

Yeah was worried about the repointing, as do not want that to stand out.

do you tink it would be possible to get a colour match ?

i could just leave it but looks a bit unsightly.

also do you think its worth getting an SE to look at it then if i repoint atleast i can say it had been looked at previously ?
its costly but would like a bit of piece of mind.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back