External Telephone Sounder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, i have an office with a normal table top telephone and would like to put an external sounder / bell outside of the office, so i can hear the phone ring if i am not in my office.

Is this possible? and if so how would i do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Paul_C thats exactly what i am looking for. Just abit unclear what you mean by 'wiring back to the jack'?

Do you mean wiring into the telephone socket?

Thanks

Do you mean wiring into the telephone socket?

Yes, jacks is what we call the sockets in telecoms. You can run the cable from any convenient jack on the line if you have more than one, just connect the wires into the terminals with the existing conductors.

You'll find dozens of different suppliers for the bell pictured. Just Google search for "BT bell 80D" or "BT bellset 80D."

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much. Very helpful and quick.
And i have learnt abit of trade jargon as well!!

Cheers

Just one thing I didn't think to mention, but do you have DSL (broadband internet service) on the line?

You also might want to consider putting and on/off switch in the bell circuit if you have neighbours , nothing more annoying than an 80d merrily ringing away at night or early in the morning.

This site may help with the connection scroll to the bottom
http://www.telephonediy.co.uk/wire.diagram/

To stop the bell ringing simply put in a make/ brake switch in on wire to the bell.

Evening Guys, the premises is a warehouse and does have wireless internet. I am not sure if it is on that line or not???Could this be a problem.
I brought a BT bell today and wired that up easy enough, but in the telephone socket there was only wires in numbers 1, 2, 5 & 6 and the colours in 2 and 5 were the blue and white cables not orange and white.

The bell did not ring at all. So i went and brought a telephone ringer which just plugs straight into the telephone socket by using an adaptor so i can have the phone and ringer in together. The issue is that this is just not loud enough. So ideally I still want the bell!!

Thanks

Evening Guys, the premises is a warehouse and does have wireless internet. I am not sure if it is on that line or not???Could this be a problem.

It's only that if there is DSL on the line you would want to make sure the bell is after a filter, the same as your phone. If your phone plugs directly into the jack without a microfilter, then either you don't have DSL on the line or you already have a filter installed elsewhere.

I brought a BT bell today and wired that up easy enough, but in the telephone socket there was only wires in numbers 1, 2, 5 & 6 and the colours in 2 and 5 were the blue and white cables not orange and white.

The bell did not ring at all.

On a jack connected to a standard telephone line, the 80D bell needs to be connected across 3 & 5, not 2 & 5.

However, as you say you have two pairs of wires to the jack, one pair of which goes to terminals 1 & 6, I'm wondering if your phone is an extension on a PBX system.

Is there a yellow capacitor in the back of your jack, like the one in this picture?

LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

Or does it look more like this, without any components except the jack itself and the connection terminals?

LJU2_6A_rear.jpg

Evening Paul_C, thanks for your reply. Sorry its taken me a while to reply.
Yes this phone is an extension and has the yellow capacitor.
Can i still use a bell with this?

Thanks

Yes, the bell will still work on a PBX extension, so long as the PBX can provide enough power for the extra bell.

Connect the two wires from the extension bell to 3 & 5 in your jack. The question about the capacitor was just to make sure that you have one in the jack, since you need the capacitor to be wired in series with the bell.

Thank you very much, i will try this. You have been really helpful.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back