External wall insulation having already done internal wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had internal wall insulation done on all external facing walls about 5 years back, using insulated plasterboard (30mm)

I'm now thinking of having it done externally. 100mm to really get the benefits during the colder months.

Am I likely to get problems with damp/mould internally if I get this done?

Sponsored Links
No. You'll be increasing the temperature of the inside walls, you don't get condensation and mould etc on warm surfaces

Insulation on the INside is what gives you problems. If warm air weeps through your insulation, it meets cold brick and you get condensation inside the wall. If you haven't seen any, ok, - probably!
I'd do the calculations before such an expensive move.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to cause condensation/dampness, but insulation is subject to the law of diminishing returns. With internal insulation plus the masonry, there's a chance the external insulation won't be adding sufficient benefit to offset the cost. Or at least, payback will be so long you'll never see the benefit. As above, get it calculated against cost and see where you are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back