External wall insulation spec & gas meter/electric suppl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be having external wall insulation (95 sq m) installed over the next few months paid mostly through with a council grant. The gas meter is attached to the wall being insulated as is the supply cable from ground to approx 2m above ground, where it goes through the wall to the meter.

The installers intend to use standard expanded polystyrene insulation to 100mm, but I would like 100mm of phenol. A bit more expensive (installers said +£1000 for 60mm phenol), but I would think 100mm phenol is better in the longer term. Any advice welcome.

The installers also say the will not move the gas meter and electricity supply cable and that they will insulate around these. I think this is wrong as it will introduce cold spots on internal walls. I have been told that it would cost around £600 apiece to move these, but I think it must be worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
I can't see that you will ever see a £600 return in your heating bill for insulating behind the meters. Its possible you will get a cold spot where the meters are but I wouldn't be too worried.

Assuming you mean 100mm Phenolic insulation (like Kingspan or Xtratherm for example) then that will be equivalent to approximately 160mm polystyrene. So it will be better but again if you see a £1000 saving is another matter.

Though some say that actually the gas contained within theses types of insulation (that makes them such good insulators) leaches out over time leaving these types of insulation little better than polystyrene. Though the manufacturers say they have addressed this issue now but its difficult to know for sure.

When they do the insulation consider fixings for washing lines or satellite dishes or any other things you may wish to hang off the walls n the future. which can be problematic after the event.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise that Phenolic insulation could degrade over time. I'll investigate further, but if true seems a waste of effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back