Internal insulation advice, esp with these gas prices ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning
House is detatched, basic render & cavity wall (unfilled)
I was looking into insulating the upstairs rooms from the inside, bit of a pain with curved ceilings etc
But i was looking to insulate the 2x external walls and around the window frame this summer in prep for next year

So will need to remove the radiators in prep and refit/move when its done

Am i best going for the 60mm PIR insulation or the foiled back suff then plaster board over it?
I have done the small room last year with the basic insulated plasterboard foamed to the brickwork which helped but want the bigger rooms to have more insulation.

So was looking at 60mm insulation and then plaster board over the top? I was just going to batten the wall and fill it that way to get a good level finish for the plaster board, or would it bet fitting some sort rock wool/fibre glass style insualtion inbetween battens?

Just dont wan to cause an issues with moisture etc, i will have to drop the depth of the insulation around the windows even when i nock the old plaster off due 60mm being too deep.

Ideally in prep for next winter so when i heat the rad's up the rooms will stay warmer for longer & rad thermostat will click off

Sponsored Links
Do not batten the walls.

Take the wall back to brick, Celotex (50mm is enough) with foam plaster adhesive. Make sure its sealed tight. With tape and foam. Then use the same to attach plasterboard to the celotex. use some screws in to brick 4-9 per board to hold it while it sets and give fire protection. Tape and skim.

Have you thought about having your cavity filled?

Do not batten the walls.

Take the wall back to brick, Celotex (50mm is enough) with foam plaster adhesive. Make sure its sealed tight. With tape and foam. Then use the same to attach plasterboard to the celotex. use some screws in to brick 4-9 per board to hold it while it sets and give fire protection. Tape and skim.

Have you thought about having your cavity filled?
Cheers

Will foam it again like I did with last lot, I was looking at battens as quick easy and easier to make level.

I have looked but keep reading horror stories of damp with cavity wall insulation, I know it's only a small number so I could possibly look into it

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back