battens vertical or horizontal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid external wall & have removed all the old plaster from it.

Should i batten it with 2x1 battens with insulation inbetween, vapour barrier & then plasterboard?

If so do i run battens horizontal or vertical?
Should i treat the brickwork with anything 1st?
should i use treated 2x1?

Or do i build a stud wall in front of the brickwall with insulation, vapor then board.
worried about losing too much of the room as it only a small terraced house.

Sponsored Links
do i build a stud wall in front of the brickwall with insulation, vapor then board.
worried about losing too much of the room as it only a small terraced house.

Yes.

But use timbers that a slightly bigger best go for something closer to 35x50mm.
The stud work should be fixed vertical to the wall with 600mm centres, to allow the width of the board(1200mm) to fit.
You can use duplex boards(foil back) this will mean no need to install a vapour barrier.

Cheers,

need to just get this clear in my head though.

are you saying to use 35x50 trated battens screwed directly to the brickwork vertically then use foil backed boards vertically mounted?

If so i take it i can still install insulation between the battens.

also ( sorry but i am new & need to be sure before i start ) i take it i batten along horizonatlly along the top & bottom 1st to give a solid edge to screw to & for skirting?

How far of the concrete floor do the boards need to be as i read they are not supposed to go all the way to the finished floor level?

Or have i got this wrong & you are saying build a studwall in front of the brickwork?

i know this would be best in ideal world but really cant afford to lose space so is battening wall with insulation between battens then vapour check board the best compromise?

the thing is, the smaller the battens, the less the insulation, then it all becomes pointless realld and you may as well just use 2x1 battens at 400 centers and board over, If you want it insulated why not build a wall out of 3x2's and slip 50mm of kingspan in there, this leaves you a 25mm service gap for cables and pipes and will only encroach into your room by 4" maximum. It is also much easier to build a flat straight stud wall than to batten the wall and be packing everywhere to get the battens flat, plumb and in line.

Sponsored Links
could i use gypliner universal to build metal frame just off the walls high spot then insert insulation & board over with thermaline?

Timber studwalls i've built (i'm no expert here either) seem to suffer from the timbers being warped in one direction or another.

Thought it might be easier & truer to use metal frame work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back