Dot and Dab or Batten Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I know this topic has probably been covered a million times and ive read some forums posts, but wanted to ask some Qs more related to my project.

I have just had a new extension built and was planning to dot and dab the walls but after reading posts from this forum and other places it seems battening might be the better option. (unless someone says otherwise)

Then planning to batten, i was thinking to stick some insulation between the battens, but read on some posts that this would cause thermal bridging and it needs to be a continuous run. (possibly might be the case only with non insulation external walls)

Q1) Do i still need a continuous run if i have cavity filled walls?
Q2) do I need to use PIR boards or can i get away with general insulation (earth wool or something similar)
Q3) am i going over the top but insulating further? does the cost out weigh the benefit?

If i continue down the batten route;

Q4) old external wall now internal, would i need to use foil back plasterboard and/or a vapour barrier?
Q5) Same q for internal block wall (load bearing wall), would i need to use foil back plasterboard and/or a vapour barrier?
Q6) same q for new external walls, would i need to use foil back plasterboard and/or a vapour barrier?

Probably the last question for now, Q7) what is the minimum i could probably get away with battening the wall? 50mmx25mm battens? then use 25mm insulation boards?

Sorry for the long post. :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What are the posts saying dot and dab is not suitable, when it’s by far the most common, accepted approach, being done on new builds all over the country as we speak.
Battening is more work, and adding insulation on the already “warm” side of an insulated cavity wall is of questionable benefit.

Thanks for your response.

I am not saying it is not suitable, if its a standard up and down the country then im sure it is. Ive just read a few horror stories and thought battening seems more secure, but im sure just like with most things if its done properly there will be no issues.

You're right it is more work but id rather put that work in now, if it will pay off in the long run.

Both approaches are valid, but the only time I ever batten is on bathrooms where loads of pipes need running behind the plasterboards or when using cement board on wet rooms/showers which you’re not meant to dab.
But if you’re more comfortable battening, go for it. It can be a fiddle if the walls aren’t dead plumb though. Whereas dabbing in that situation is easier.
Also if there are concerns about longevity/durability of d&d, then that normally points to the plasterboard itself being the weak link, which points to using solid plastering anyway rather than any plasterboard solution.

Sponsored Links
In an insulated cavity wall. the inner leaf acts as a heat sink - it absorbs heat and radiates it slowly back into the house, helping keep it warm. Insulation on the inside of the inner leaf prevents this. You'll still be heating the air in the room, but will be doing nothing to keep the fabric of the house warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back