plasterboard as insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just battened out an outhouse ready for plasterboarding and was going to use inch thick kingspan in between the battens for insulation.
I have got a couple of bags of drywall adhesive and loads of plasterboard offcuts from recently dot and dabbing my bathroom walls. My question is could I dot and dab the offcuts in between the battens as insulation. Would this be adequate or should I go to the expense of using kingspan. Any replies welcome.

Sponsored Links
plasterboard does offer minimal insulation as do most low conductive building products. the significance of the levels of insulation given by such products, may not satisfy your needs.

they will be no substitute for purpose made thermal insulation. air is a good insulator and products with a high air content coupled with a low conductive material offer the greatest thermal value.

also, some insulation, be it rigid foam or mineral/glass-wool is designed to not wick water. your filling the gap with plasterboard is likely to increase the risk of damp.

Thanks Noseall your answers are always helpful as in previous posts. Will use Kingspan. I have seen from other posts that I should use a vapour barrier when using Kingspan. Is this available at a builders merchants and how is it attached? Thanks.

a vapour check membrane is regular dpm polythene sold at b.m's.

nail or staple it to the upright studs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back