Solid wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First post. Just bought my first house. :D

Id like to get some advice on possibly insulating the solid walls in my 1930s house.

As it stands some of the plaster has turned into dust. And a fair amount of it is popping off the wall.

Id like to add some insulation backed plasterboard. As thin as possible as to not take up to much room inside the rooms.

Id also like to dot and dab it with a few screw fixings. No battens.

Is it ok to miss out bits and only insulate the majority of the down stairs room. (its all open plan)

for example not insulating the window bays and chimney breast. Im also playing with the idea of leaving some walls as bare brick. Would this cause problems?

What insulated backed plaster board should I use? And does what I want to do sound possible or the correct way of going about it?

Cheers for any help Tom

Sponsored Links
If your walls are flat enough, no need to dot and dab, esp if they are a bit loose.

You could use nail able plugs to fix directly to the walls, then bond if needed to straighten , then skim ( or skim directly if they are good enough)

The type of board you use is up to you- how much extra insulation do you need? Bear in mind you may have to use a thinner board on the cheeks of your reveals so you don't foul the window frame.

Also the bits you leave out are up to you,just down to how well you want the house to be insulated. Personally I'd have thought the window bays are more important than party walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back