external walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I just painted a cottage which had all new cement render put on. which was allowed 4 weeks to cure before painting commenced.
the paint used was dulux trade masonry cream colour.
first coat was applied 1 part (water clean) to 5 parts paint followed by 2 full coats, each day the temperature was above 10c it looked really good when it was finished.
Now for the weird bit Saturday afternoon I had a phone call of the client it had been raining and the DRY paint was running of the walls.
I have been painting for 10 years and have never known this to happen has any one got any ideas?????

cheers for looking a stressed out painter scratching his head

Sponsored Links
Paint takes a while to fully dry, might the period between you finishing and the rain have been just a day or two?

Slightly different, but a client over the summer asked for masonary painting (Dulux weathershield) four warm day after finishing they decided to jet wash and that took the skirting height paint straight off.

Got another day out of the job :D

I'm not convinced 4 weeks is enough for render. Depending on the ambient temperature at the time of painting and temperature since i'd say your paint has been unable to cure because the render is still damp.
Personally i allow three months for render to dry

Sponsored Links
Cheers Chris and I thinking bout phoning dulux up the walls were painted over 3 days so each wall had 24 hrs ti dry between coats also did u use stabilizer on the patch which was removed also it seems that's it only around the bottom if the wall it is coming of at .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back