Extra Electrical Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add an extra plug socket in a room, I have read that the easiest way, is to add a cable to an existing socket on the circuit thus making it a spur, but how do I know the socket isnt already a spur? I have read that you cant have more than one spur on each socket, Is this fact?

Thank you
Haveaago

Sponsored Links
If, when you open up the existing socket, there is only one cable feeding it, then it is itself a spur and you shouldn't take a further spur from it. If there's three cables, then it's on the ring main but is already feeding a spur; again, you shouldn't take a further spur.

If you have two cables feeding the existing socket, chances are it's on a ring main and is safe to spur from. However, it may be the first socket on a two-socket spur. To be sure, you need to use a circuit tester to confirm that it's part of the ring main.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back